Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ridiculously slow boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HeWhoWanders

HeWhoWanders

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

Hi All -

Yes, my machine is old now - Lenovo Thinkpad T410, I think I bought it in 2010.  Intel i7, 2.67GHz, 8GBN RAM, 64 Bit.  But the thing has been tremendous, has been through a startup, survived being open in the front seat of a car accident at highway speed that totaled my car, and a houseful of as many as 15 children, many young/careless and many teenagers who may have accidentally installed malware.  I don't want to buy a new one.

The boot is amazingly slow now - even before the upgrade to W-10.  It gets to the home screen without too much hassle, but then I can't actually do anything for...way too long.  Normal mouse icon, except when I'm moused over the taskbar, start menu, etc.  This is true from sleep, much more pronounced from hibernation/cold boot.  It's running slower as well, but the boot is the main thing, which tells me that it's probably apps/software and possibly malware/viruses that are messing with it.

Can anyone help me with this?  I'm happy to run diagnostics, etc., and post outputs as necessary.  Thanks!

- Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:04 PM

I think your best option is to backup any personal data and do a complete reinstall of Windows 10. You would need to reinstall all your programs so make sure you have the licenses for any programs you purchased. Remember to back up your browser bookmarks or favorites.

You can create a Windows 10 boot disk or USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool on a Windows 7 or later computer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

#3 HeWhoWanders

HeWhoWanders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

I'm okay doing that, but I'm wondering what will that help.  It was doing this some before the W10 load, so why would this change anything?  Is it because it scrubs the existing programs, etc., and nothing is installed anymore?

If there is (almost) any other way to do this I'd prefer to explore it - I have a number of proprietary programs, I highly doubt I have license codes for all (or even most) of my programs, etc.  Other options?

Thanks,

- Ken

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

If the problem was occurring before the upgrade to 10 then you are going to have the same problems after upgrading. Installing to a clean drive with no OS would remove that issue and also remove any remaining malware problems. Microsoft did a disservice to people by upgrading an OS on top of a different OS. 

Of course there could be hardware issues that are slowing the computer. That could be tested using a disk like UBCD where you can test your hard drive and memory. You would need to download the iso and burn it to a CD on any Windows 7 and later computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image.

At the UBCD menu select Memory and look for Memtest+86. Run it for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight. If memory passes select Parted Magic at the UBCD menu. At the desktop of Parted Magic click Disk Health and run the short/long tests.

Having Proprietary programs would be a problem on a clean install.  

I would try a clean boot and see how the computer runs. It may be a conflict between programs. 

It may also help to post a speccy report and a MiniToolBox log. See this post by hamluis.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:48 PM

I agree with JohnC, a clean install should make that little computer act like new.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:27 AM

Because of the age of this computer it would be prudent to run a diagnostic program on your hdd.

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users