Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player Won't Display Korean Letters

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wolffie03

Wolffie03

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:56 AM

So I have this really weird problem that never got fixed when I reinstalled Windows about two years ago due to a nasty virus I had gotten that completely messed up an old hard drive. I had used a program called iAmazing to get all my songs back I lost from my computer; which were all on my iPod btw. Most of them worked but when I had played certain KPop songs on Windows Media Player; the font looks all broken and nothing like the hangul letters its supposed to represent. Eventually, I did a work around with the fonts and the rest of my KPop, JPop and CPop all display the correct letters; it's just the songs I had played in the beginning that just won't work at all. Even after using mp3tag (which I use to rename files that are stubborn that Windows can't rename titles), the letters will not display in their proper language.

Can anyone help with this issue or see if there's some type of codec to make Windows Media Player display Asian fonts correctly? I've tried every solution on google like deleting the fontcache.dat and reboot and nothing seems to work. Either that or recommend a different media player. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:51 PM

See if the following works. Open Control Panel. In the Search Control Panel box type Fonts > View Installed Fonts.  Look for Malgun Gothic. Click on it and then Show in the Menu Bar.

#3 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:56 AM

Haven't rebooted or deleted the fontcache.dat after doing what you mentioned. I'm suspecting it might be the file itself that's messed up in Windows Media Player only. I even tried making the title blank, renaming it to the English title, but oddly enough, the broken letters will show up. (As for the artist name, it shows perfectly fine in the proper hangul. No idea if this is a Windows Media Player cache or font cache issue.)

Edited by Wolffie03, 30 December 2016 - 12:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users