Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continuing Education

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

Hello,

So I passed the CompTIA A+ few weeks ago and I plan on starting to study for next certification after all the festive holidays are over. I am feeling a lot more inclined towards security than networking, yet of course I know they both work better together. Which one should I take first, Network+ or Security+ ? Comptia website advice taking the Network+ before Security+ but I want to know what other people thinking ?

Also, which other certifications worth pursuing after ? I am looking at CEH and CSA+ to follow up after Network+ and Security+. Reason is I have one year + to do something with my time as I am not going to work and will be most of the time at home so might as well certify myself during all this time.

Thanks! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:44 PM

I'll back the CompTIA recommendation.  The Security+ will be easier after you've done the Network+.

As for what to pursue next it would help to knowing what your plan is after you get your certifications.

#3 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:21 AM

Well I currently relocated after getting married, so the plan is to certify myself next year and in 2018 to move to Ireland or Canada and get an IT job over there.

Btw, what is your opinion on Cisco vs. CWNP ? Cuz I see some backing Cisco for being lot more recognised while others prefer CWNP for being not so much vendor specific.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

Before you plan on relocating you need to check on what you're going to need to work in those countries.  In the US, it is very difficult for foreign nationals to get a job.  Most employers don't want to mess with the documentation required.  I'd worry more about that than certifications.

To get an IT job you need two of the following three things, certification, college degree, or experience.  If you have all three getting a job isn't very difficult.  If you have two of the three it is more difficult.  If you only have one it is very difficult.

#5 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:04 AM

The trouble is that where I live right now ( the Caribbeans) it's really hard to find a job and even if I would find it, I don't posses a work permit yet. My only option right now is to study and prepare myself. I would not mind if I had to start with a small job once I relocate as long as it's going to help me build up my career.

#6 TeiwazGod

TeiwazGod

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:47 AM

If you move to Canada and have your papers in order you should not have any issues. In general Canadians do not care where your from and might even show you more favor.

The only issue you might have is if you move to Montreal/Quebec and do not speak french. I am not saying you wont find a job just it will be a lot harder. Population very multicultural.

There are more job opportunities in Toronto but higher cost in living. Population very multicultural. 

I cannot speak for the rest of Canada but Canadians are usually the  same everywhere I have visited in Canada :)

#7 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:59 AM

Well, I'll be moving to England by the end of this year. I already lived in England for 3 years before so I guess it would be easier to set off from there.

Once my wife will be ready to move as well we will try moving from England to Ireland, that is next year or 2019.

#8 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

Update: Passed Network+ in April and studying for Sec+ at the moment.

Had some trouble with my account.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

Congratulations.  As I'm sure you are seeing the more you know, the easier it is to move on to the next certification as not everything you are learning is new.

#10 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

Very much.. I was speaking to a friend the other day and was mentioning that about 40-50% of the material in Sec+ I already have knowledge of from studying for A+ and Net+

I suppose the challenge is to hold on to that information and keep it fresh in my head, which will definitely require a job where I'm involved to go through all this material on a daily basis.

#11 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

I passed Sec+ this week so now I possess all three certificates.

I really do hope I can be given a chance in IT field without having a degree or experience. I am passionate and want to learn further more. 

As about next certificate, I have no idea as in what it will be. I am inclined in studying a security path but higher ranked certificates require job experience, something I do not have yet.

#12 TeiwazGod

TeiwazGod

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:52 AM

Hello Thoth_Dhwty, 
Honestly you should go offer your services free to you neightbours or friend and gain the expirience both hands on and client. So when they ask you have you done this you can say yes. Or even build your own system, set up server (microsoft offer trial version for 3 or 6 months, linux server centos is free), couple vmwares/virtual box (free) and set up a few machines (use linux free, or old windows etc..) 

Look for issue online and see if you can find the solution

As for schooling you can be honest say you did all your schooling online + independent studies (that what it sounds like). Just fyi independent studies is not an easy thing for majority of people. Most cannot comit, this shows dedication and independence, these are qualities employer look for.

If you have worked with people:  restaraunts, grocery stores, newspaper routes etc this direct contact with client expirience and/or if you done any kind of telemarketing, answering calls, etc.. This is phone support. It is all the same thing.

Look at all your previous expirienceand see how they can apply in IT. Do your home work, research the company you apply for, the person who is interviewing you, look up questions people ask in an interview, you should be fine. 

I am not saying to BS anything but do not sell yourself short.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users