Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot failure Lubuntu 16.04 lts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zezcris

zezcris

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:29 AM

i just opened my pc today and cant boot! i dont known why but all i've i got is this : "Boot Failure Press any key to continue" any ideas or suggestions to help me out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:07 AM

Is there just the one OS on the hdd?

If it is not a hardware problem then following the suggestions given in the link below should fix things for you.

How to Fix an Ubuntu System When It Won’t Boot

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 zezcris

zezcris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:22 AM

Yes, i have one hhd and there is only lubuntu 16.04 LTS on it. I dont see GRUB menu. For now i will try to do that steps.
I look at the bios and all the sata ports is not installed. My hhd is 9-10 years old. Is it burned(destroy) or something like that?
Sorry for my awfull english :( 
Thanks a lot for your time and your reply. 

#4 zezcris

zezcris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:50 AM

Nothing is work. GRUB can not install. I might think my hhd has broke. Whats your opinion?

Edited by zezcris, 28 December 2016 - 07:52 AM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

Can the computer boot to a CD, DVD or flash drive? If it can...then the hdd would be the number one suspect.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 zezcris

zezcris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:09 PM

yes i can boot from flashdrive. I will try another hhd. thanks a lot

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

Are you aware that it may be possible using a Linux distro as live to recover documents from the old hdd even though it is damaged?

When you booted using what I assume was a Linux flashdrive did you try mounting/ accessing the old hdd?

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:07 AM

Like buddy215 stated, it's possible to recovers anything of importance from the drive, even if removed. :)

All one needs are one of the following, a 2.5 SATA to USB cable (if 2.5" notebook HDD), a docking station that takes both 2.5" & 3.5" HDD's, or USB enclosure (if 3.5" HDD needs to be self powered). 2.5" HDD's will run direct from USB power. Once it's connected, if working at all, should open right up on your screen, then move anything that you wish to keep in the same folder on the working drive. :)

That's why I backup all of my folders with content to an external on a regular basis, because all of my transactions are performed on Linux Mint, and will store the receipt and any rebate printouts in a subfolder within Documents. This includes receipts for utility bills & other items. All drives fails at some point, there's not a matter of 'if' in there, rather when. Since SSD's has became the norm, quality of some HDD's has went further downhill & many has less warranty coverage (2 years for most consumer drives). Only Premium HDD's has a 5 year warranty & that's not to be considered these won't fail when not old, most that does will do so in the early goings. 

Am hoping that you get your data back, the OS can be reinstalled, yet the data is priceless for many. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 29 December 2016 - 06:08 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users