Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No need to have a Firewall??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:11 AM

I work with a fellow who seems to be a fairly intelligent and savvy kind of guy.  He says he has no need for a firewall or virus protection on his computer and he is online on a daily basis.  I thinks he is nuts.  What do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:34 AM

He says he has no need for a firewall or virus protection on his computer

Technically hes right but with a few conditions.

What operating system is he using?

If his router has a firewall you may not need to run one on your PC, However it costs nothing to run a software firewall on your PC and I would encourage everybody do so.

I run Linux, whats a virus? As a general rule Linux users do not use anti virus or anti malware software we don't need it .

Edited by NickAu, 28 December 2016 - 02:42 AM.

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:34 AM

He using linux ?

#4 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:19 PM

I think hes mad even if using linux you still need a firewall. I always have a firewall and av even on linux as a linux machine can still host windows malware that can intern infect other machines dependent on environment and circumstances. Now Microsoft has taken an interest in Linux I think its more important than ever I don't trust bill gates to be doing good with his recent track record. This is my own personal view.

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:58 PM

I heavily rely on my firewall for protection, but everyone has their prefered ways to protect a system, I guess your friend's preferred way uses something else. Or perhaps there is nothing on the machine worth protecting. Or perhaps his online activities are restricted to an array of sites that he trusts well enough to not feel the need to protect his machine.

Personally I feel a bit naked without a firewall running.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

I heavily rely on my firewall for protection, but everyone has their prefered ways to protect a system, I guess your friend's preferred way uses something else. Or perhaps there is nothing on the machine worth protecting. Or perhaps his online activities are restricted to an array of sites that he trusts well enough to not feel the need to protect his machine.

Personally I feel a bit naked without a firewall running.

lol ^^

I have 4 firewalls runing back to back and iv gone as high as 10 just for fun, setup four routers "nat" once at well runing back to back with costum firmware just for even more defence, if you start trying to brute force hack your way in to my network, camp a port or try and phone home the odds are i see you coming are very high, unless i get hardcore rootkited, ill fix that problem soon anyways.

Yes im a tinfol hat.

This is one firewall and this is real time loging i can watch this anytime i feel like it, no firewall bro lol, watch your self on that topic, and the only way to be save if you do is to have a very clean network stack if your connected to the net with out NAT.

firewall.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users