Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop not booting up reliably

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Sundial

Sundial

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:26 AM

I've had an ASUS X551MA laptop currently running Windows 10 Anniversary for about a year now, and it has served me well with no issues until recently. These past few weeks, it has had trouble powering on from sleep, hibernation, and just being off. If I press the power button to turn it on, the power indicator light turns on, but nothing else happens; the screen doesn't turn on, the OS doesn't boot, and I can't hear any noise coming from the computer either if the computer isn't asleep. If I force shut down the computer from this state by holding down the power button and then wait for a few seconds, I can turn it on again, and it will boot as normal. However, because this is practically a cold boot, all my progress is lost if it was previously in sleep mode. The problem seems to have gotten somewhat worse in the past few days, as I have found that it has taken a varying number of attempts to start it, sometimes three and sometimes more.

I've resorted to putting it into hibernation whenever possible to keep my progress. This seems like a hardware issue, but I'm not very well versed in computer hardware. I've kept the computer in good shape throughout my ownership thus far, and the only source of damage that I can think of was some exposure to a drizzle of rain late last month/in the first days of this month. The problem started happening a few weeks after that, but it's a possibility. I tried opening it up to check the internal components for corrosion, but for some reason one of the exterior screws appears to be different from the others, and I wasn't able to unscrew that particular one to remove the paneling. Strange.

Recent software installs include Search Everything, Roguekiller (uninstalled later), and a number of Windows updates. Do you guys have a diagnosis or any recommendations? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users