Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can only boot in safe mode... Truekey error?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fashionsaur

Fashionsaur

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:02 AM

This is the error when I try to login not in safe mode. It's the first thing that pops up, before selecting a user, and i can't get around it

2cmvfw3.png

Edited by Fashionsaur, 28 December 2016 - 01:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,861 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:16 AM

Credit : JohnC_21     https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612999/true-key-invading-my-laptop-please-help/page-2#entry4136739

True Key is part of the Mcafee Security which intel purchased and later called Intel Security.

You can contact their customer service here. You can start a chat session with True Key support in the dropdown boxes.

If you right click the icon on the desktop and select properties. You will see a target location. That may give a hint as to where it is on the computer.

You have said that you can boot to safe mode....do that.......and uninstall truekey there.

The link above may help provide some insight

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Fashionsaur

Fashionsaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:25 AM

Thank you!
I uninstalled truekey and it's now working just fine, what a relief.

What does true key do? Should I try reinstalling it now or is it unnecessary?

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,861 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:51 AM

Judging by the not so good things i read about it....and the fact that it is actually a product of McAfees......I would stay away from it.

If you actually need a Password manager....there are plenty that have stood the test of time

Personally I use LastPass

Be aware that if you access sites from both your PC and your phone....you will need lastpass installed on both of them....and the second install will cost you $

Others include the list HERE

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:11 PM

This error message is related to McAfee.  I would uninstall it and then reinstall it if this is the paid version.  If this is the free version I would suggest uninstalling  this and try another free antivirus, my wife uses AVAST free which works for her simple needs, Sopho and Avira are two more decent free antivirus porgrams.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users