Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phone without a Data Plan??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:15 AM

I am a basic person when it comes to phone usage.  All I need is a phone to make phone calls and occasionally text.  So, all that I've had up to now was basic flip phone and my carrier is Verizon.  Well some of my family thought it was time for me to upgrade to a smartphone, so they bought one for me for Christmas.  Once again,all I need is to make phone calls and text.  I do not need a data plan.  So, I headed over to our Verizon store and told them that I wanted to activate my new phone on my current account.  They told me that a data plan was required on a smartphone. Currently I do not have a contract with Verizon I just pay a standard monthly charge for phone and text.  Is there something that I can do to have a smartphone without a data plan??  Maybe down the road I will see the light and add on a data plan, but not now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:30 AM

As far as i know here in AU , if the new Phone is Unlocked and not tied to a carrier , you can just swap the Sim Card and away you go.

On smart phones you can disable in settings "Mobile Data"  and still recieves Calls and Text.

Same if you wish to go with a Prepaid Monthly Sim Card.

If you eventually go with a new plan , get the cheapest you can and turn Data Off.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

If this is an Android smartphone. No you can't have an Android without a data plan. There is no way for the carrier to give you monthly OS security updates without it. At a very minimum. Much less maintain the various app and bloatware updates. There are other data plan requirements but thats the key ones that affect you most with an Android OS smartphone.

However with that said. You can turn data off till you need to do updates. But you'll still have your basic monthly data access charge.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:09 AM

Yes, this smartphone that I was given is a Android.  Thanks for the information. I might have to go to plan 'C'. 

#5 elizbethsewell666

elizbethsewell666

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:16 AM

If this is an Android smartphone. No you can't have an Android without a data plan. There is no way for the carrier to give you monthly OS security updates without it. At a very minimum. Much less maintain the various app and bloatware updates. There are other data plan requirements but thats the key ones that affect you most with an Android OS smartphone.

However with that said. You can turn data off till you need to do updates. But you'll still have your basic monthly data access charge.

Yeah, Exactly I am totally agree with you guy.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

If this is an Android smartphone. No you can't have an Android without a data plan. There is no way for the carrier to give you monthly OS security updates without it. At a very minimum. Much less maintain the various app and bloatware updates. There are other data plan requirements but thats the key ones that affect you most with an Android OS smartphone.However with that said. You can turn data off till you need to do updates. But you'll still have your basic monthly data access charge.

Yeah, Exactly I am totally agree with you guy.
But why would he want or need to go through the hassle of updating his Android smartphone if he never really uses the 'smart' part of it all? I mean, what does he gain with the updates? Shouldn't he just get a prepaid card without any Internet and that's it. And if anything goes wrong, he'd just do a hard reset and is back to normal in 3 minutes. Or am I missing something?
:)

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

I have to disagree that you cannot have a Android phone without a data plan for any reason other than the carriers enforcing it.

Every Android-powered smartphone I've had, save the last one, not only didn't have a data plan but didn't have phone service, either.  Updates are all handled, and perfectly, over WiFi.  On my current phone (a Galaxy S7) it actively resists downloading Android (as opposed to app, and I've set it to not do those using mobile data, too) updates except if you're connected to WiFi.  They give you a warning that downloading Android OS updates over mobile data could easily exhaust your monthly allotment if you use data for lots of other things, too.

I don't know of a single carrier that will activate a smartphone without a data plan and more's the pity.  I've had a pay-as-you-go plan through Virgin Mobile and have purchased two of their Android-powered smartphones over the years.  I would gladly have carried that plan over to the smartphones had they allowed it because all I ever did was call.  I still have the flip phone because of that plan.

I continue to get Android updates on a Samsung Galaxy J7 I have that has no SIM card in it strictly over WiFi.

My solution, since WiFi has become quite ubiquitous, and emergency calls (911) can be made even in smartphones on which the phone service has never been activated, is to use Google Hangouts with a Google Voice phone number.  You can call or text with ease if you've got WiFi connectivity and if anyone calls or texts while you don't any voicemail or text messages show up moments after you reestablish WiFi connectivity.

If one really wanted to go "on the cheap" and you don't make an ungodly number of calls or send texts every five seconds you could buy one of the pocket sized pay-as-you-go wireless internet units and buy a basic monthly plan (usually $25 for thirty days service and a generous amount of bandwidth if all you're doing is calling and texting via Hangouts or similar).  Then you just have your smartphone WiFi connected via that unit.  The old Virgin Mobile MiFi units worked very well for this purpose and it was significantly cheaper than either their monthly plans with data or even a number of plans that were just unlimited talk and text.

Where there's a will, there's a way.  Creativity is required.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

Every Android-powered smartphone I've had, save the last one, not only didn't have a data plan but didn't have phone service, either.

'My brotha from another motha' :lmao:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584457/the-do-whatever-you-want-topic/page-6#entry4203442
BTW, if you haven't already figured it out, all I'm saying is, I use my smartphone without cell or data service as well.
:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users