Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Verbose Desktop Icon label weirdness

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hagen79

hagen79

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:56 PM

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit. Upgrade from 7 worked fine for months until this cropped up. Possibly a rude houseguest used my computer while I was out, but what he did I cannot guess. I run Stardock Fences, but the same problem appears when it is disabled.

The labels on all my desktop icons became verbose, and moved to the right of the icon. They include the file type! This can be "Shortcut" or ".PNG file". Now they all overlap and it is a real nuisance. (See attached image). Normally they were all nice and short and sat below the icon.

None of the Windows Explorer file settings appear to be responsible; it shows all directories (including the Desktop) normally.

I've googled this problem extensively and cannot find any help.

Thanks for reading!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:02 AM

Problem probably cause by Stardock Fences, see if there is setting to disable icons descriptions in Stardock Fences options.

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 hagen79

hagen79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

I can't find any relevant option in Fences. I've tried disabling fences and rebooting, without any effect on the labels.

#4 hagen79

hagen79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:27 PM

I have completely removed Fences from my computer, and the label problem persists. However, it restores the default Windows spacing of the icons, which eliminates the overlapping of the labels. So Windows knows how big the labels are, and that they are to the right of the icons. I'd prefer to restore the short labels, which would work with Fences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users