Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Programs to Download?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gibsgoinpro

gibsgoinpro

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:35 PM

Years ago I downloaded Super Antispyware and Malware Bytes. Its been a long time since I checked in to see what are the best free programs computer people use. Are there any ones Bleeping Computer recommends? My computer is pretty old- like 2007 model. Also, I was wondering of how to clean my computer out as good as possible? Like from any corruptions or from it being old computer with so much things on harddrive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:01 AM

Here's three just to start....

cCleaner.....https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/ccleaner/

Spyware Blaster.....https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/use-spywareblaster-to-protect-your-computer/

Revo Uninstaller....https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

Explore more here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows/utilities/

Edited by saw101, 28 December 2016 - 05:03 AM.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:23 AM

List of PUP/Adware/Toolbars/Browser Hijacking Scan Tools::

List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools to supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion::

From that list, I would recommend any (or a combination) of these...Emsisoft AntiMalware, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Malwarebytes 3.0, Zemana AntiMalware and the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.

For a list of other recommended security tools (i.e. SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol) and resources, please refer to:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 gibsgoinpro

gibsgoinpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

Thank you for the list. That is just so many it's overwhelming and I don't even know what they all do. My grandmother is just a casual internet user.

If I needed a free Anti-Virus, then Adware/Spyware, then absolutely necessary Supplement Tools, which ones do I download?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials.

I generally recommend Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as the backbone to supplementing your anti-virus software. Although if you use Emsisoft, it is not necessary to use a separate antivirus solution since EAM combines its technology with Bitdefender's Anti-Virus engine. See my comments in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program and Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend these progams.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users