Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to login to safe mode or get out of it.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 macuser1298

macuser1298

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

I'm using an Alienware 17 with Windows 10 installed on the SSD and an HDD installed for storage. I was having problems with a key, so I set it to safe mode using msconfig. It booted when I restarted, but when I tried to log back in, it asks for a password instead of a PIN and when I try to use my Microsoft password, it doesn't work. I assume that it needs to verify the password with the Microsoft servers, so I held down Shift and was able to get to the boot options menu. I selected safe mode with networking but nothing seems to be different. I am able to boot to a recovery drive, as well as Ubuntu, but neither of them even recognize the Windows SSD, even though it is still able to boot, just not log in. Is there any way to re-enable access the drive, or is there something else I can do to log in? I have also tried to get an Admin account but you need access to System32 from the C: drive as far as I know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:06 PM

This method should work for 10 but I can't confirm it. Use a Windows 10 install disk to get access to a command prompt. At the screen where is ask for language press Shift + F10. In the guide it says to use the following command.

%windir%\system32\config\SAM

This may not work. You can browse to C:\Windows\System32\config and click the SAM hive. 

Be very careful when editing the file as shown in the guide. If successful you will have an admin account you can login to.

If you can access a command prompt by booting from the SSD  use the following command to enable the hidden Administrator Account.

net user administrator /active:yes

#3 macuser1298

macuser1298
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

No luck. It says that Admin command worked but nothing changes, and I can't even find the SAM file, as the system doesn't even seem to recognize the main windows boot drive. Linux and the recovery drive definitely don't.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

Was this using a Windows 10 install disk?  You can create it on a Windows 7 or later computer using the Media Creation Tool. Boot the disk and open a command prompt to edit the registry file as shown in the guide. If you can boot the install DVD you should be able to access the SAM file in the registry editor.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

#5 macuser1298

macuser1298
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

Not working from install disk. seems like it doesn't even recognize the C: drive as existing, since it tried to load SAM from the X: drive but said it was already in use?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:14 PM

That is because X drive is your DVD disk and you cannot load the hive as it is in use. When selecting File > Load Hive do you see a C: drive when clicking on Computer in the left pane.

566x415xEnter-the-file-name_thumb.png.pa

#7 macuser1298

macuser1298
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:08 PM

For some reason the C: drive (Actually it was listed as D: for some reason ) was showing up fine a few minutes ago, but most of the time it is not visible, unfortunately. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:10 PM

This may be due to a failing drive or a problem with the connection between the drive and motherboard. You can either boot a diagnostic disk and check the SSD or connect the SSD to another computer and try the registry method with the drive connected.

You will need to disable SecureBoot if enabled in order for UBCD to boot. At the menu screen select PartedMagic. On the Parted Magic Desktop select Disk Health and run the short/long tests. You said Ubuntu did not detect the drive so this may not detect your SSD either so connecting the SSD to another computer may be the best option.

If connecting the SSD to another computer you can use Seatools for Windows to check the SSD.

If you can pull your data from the SSD using Parted Magic and an external drive you can do a complete fresh install if the drive checks out okay.

http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

The problem is that Windows 10 has a hybrid shutdown and the SSD may only be read only.

Note: Boot Ubuntu and open a terminal. Type the following command

fdisk -l

This will list all disks Ubuntu sees.

You can get more info with the following command. You may need to prefix the command with sudo. See if Ubuntu lists the SSD.

lsblk -o name,label,size,fstype,mountpoint,model

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 December 2016 - 10:10 PM.

#9 macuser1298

macuser1298
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:12 PM

I don't want to take out the SSD since the 17 is a laptop less than a month old. I will try the Ubuntu commands, though.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:21 PM

There is one other thing you can try. From Troubleshoot you can do a System Restore if enabled. From what I have read System Restore is disabled by default in Windows 10 but yours may be enabled. If this does not work contact Dell support. They will provide a Recovery key. If Ubuntu cannot detect the SSD using the commands I provided I would advise you to RMA the computer as it's only a month old.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

#11 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:16 AM

Are you able to enable the hidden built-in admin account in cmd prompt?

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/12/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-10-administrator-account/

If yes, perhpas you will be then able to go back to msconfig and untick/uncheck safe boot.

(don't forget to turn off hidden admin account afterwards..important!)

#12 macuser1298

macuser1298
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:53 AM

Are you able to enable the hidden built-in admin account in cmd prompt?

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/12/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-10-administrator-account/

If yes, perhpas you will be then able to go back to msconfig and untick/uncheck safe boot.

(don't forget to turn off hidden admin account afterwards..important!)

It says that the process was successful but I don't see any way to get into the admin account.

#13 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:56 AM

Have you restarted your machine ?

If you can get into your machine now and super admin is active you can go to users in control panel and edit away option for password.

#14 macuser1298

macuser1298
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:44 AM

Have you restarted your machine ?

If you can get into your machine now and super admin is active you can go to users in control panel and edit away option for password./ii

I've restarted so many times since- no luck.

#15 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:11 AM

I'm using an Alienware 17 with Windows 10 installed on the SSD and an HDD installed for storage.

Spoiler

Was this computer at all registered on the Microsoft account? Or was used only local account?
But of course, was how it was, in any case must be possible to boot normally.
If Administrator account is activated, You must see it on the log-in screen.
If not possible to do nothing, store personal files, (save somewhere if not allready stored or backed up) and reinstall Windows. It is the fastest way.
Then is mandatory to register pc on Microsoft account to avoid similar situations in future. Also learn, how is possible activate Administrator account if needed, even if You cannot login.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users