Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mint 18.1 and VLC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dishdude1

dishdude1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

I downloaded and installed VLC and want it to be my default video player. In preferred applications, I selected it. However video files still open xplayer. How do I fix this?

s8WNkUF.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:09 PM

I seem to recall I had a similar problem.....

I ended up right clicking on a movie/video file, and selected 'open with'...scrolled down to vlc, and selected that....then clicked on "set as default" (down the bottom)....then OK.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:35 AM

Indeed, certain formats may pick another player to use.

Not like xplayer is bad, I actually rather like it as its how totem used to be.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 dishdude1

dishdude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

I seem to recall I had a similar problem.....

I ended up right clicking on a movie/video file, and selected 'open with'...scrolled down to vlc, and selected that....then clicked on "set as default" (down the bottom)....then OK.

That did it. I was right clicking and opening with VLC, but going through open with other application is working.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:00 PM

Glad that worked for you !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:48 AM

Great to hear! :)

I haven't upgraded to LM 18.1 yet, waiting to see if users reports bugs in the OS, it's like Clement Lefebvre (the LM founder) stated, if all is OK, and the OS is supported, there's no requirement to upgrade. There's some, and I was one for a long time because didn't want Compiz, stuck with Linux Mint 17 (no point release) until it was almost time for LM 17.2 to ship. :)

Have VLC pinned to the panel, and it's been my favorite media player ever since converting to Linux, even use to watch my motion detection snapshots (will turn on a couple of computers & have the webcams going when away). No way can one delete either, the screensaver locks within a minute & these are uploaded to OneDrive, not quite yet available for Linux users, yet it's being worked on by the same ones who brought Google Drive to Linux users (insync). Yet I can still access that folder from Linux Mint & watch any videos with VLC. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users