Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System Advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

I need some advice on my next system upgrades. Currently I have a Desktop rig for Gaming and a gaming laptop for gaming on the go, school work, and IT projects. I have recently been considering compressing this to have just 1 computer for both purposes that I can use for school, gaming, work, etc. and avoid spending the money to upgrade 2 computers every 3-8 years. I'm not sure if I should just continue to buy dual computers for this or if it may be more practical to just get a single powerful laptop for both on the go and at home since typically wherever I am with my laptop there is a power outlet. The laptop only idea would be nice where I could get something like a Razer Blade with the external GPU addon if needed or something else and just dock it when I'm at home to connect to my triple monitor setup and transfer my hard drives to a NAS server. The main downside I am concerned with is that I tend to upgrade laptops much more often and can only do minimal upgrades as well as it is much less comfortable to work on for extended periods of time not to mention the hardware is less powerful most of the time i.e: graphics cards. One plus to at least having a laptop is that I study cyber security and having a laptop with an extra NIC for promiscuous mode can be handy. I was also considering if I do the desktop/laptop combo again, getting something like a Surface Book since it will be powerful enough to run games like World of Warcraft decently but portable and functional for work and school while the main gaming will be on my desktop. What would you guys recommend or suggest?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:37 AM

I would recommend desktop for heavy use and portable for more casual use.

You also must consider situation when one of your computers breaks down, then it's very good to have a backup.

#3 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:51 AM

Thank you Drillingmachine. That is kind of what I am doing now, I have just been trying to cut costs on replacing the two devices and I have been considering the Surface for school anyways. Anyone else have additional suggestions?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:12 AM

Well...I guess that I don't see why any change is contemplated.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users