Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Components needs repair

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Yawellnofine

Yawellnofine

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

Hi people.

Could anyone please help with the above issue. I have tried the Windows 10 trouble shooter to no avail and the manual repair but I couldnt get past net stop bits because the process hadn,t started. A couple of days of searching the web and trying out solutions have proved fruitless and i am at a loss. I have attached screen shots of the problem and the event log which I dont understand..This came about after the last update, I have not installed any progrms prior to or after the update.

Attached File  w10update.png   92.89KB   0 downloadsAttached File  systemevent log.png   352.54KB   0 downloads

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:07 AM

Please execute batch script as a administrator from below link.

Repair Windows Update Errors

Posted Image

#3 Yawellnofine

Yawellnofine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:12 AM

Thankyou for the assistance but i,m afraid that did not work.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

Have you tried this?

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/38630-cannot-open-windows-10-settings-immersivecontrolpanel-repair-rebuild.html#post546417

#5 Yawellnofine

Yawellnofine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:54 AM

Hi thank you for your reply. I haven't tried it yet as it is only the windows update screen that is not working. After more searching the internet I am now trying to fix Background Intelligent Transfer Service is not starting . Not that I Honda out much hope for that either if oastcrxperience is anything to go by.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

Do the following to access the sfc /scannow log.

Open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below followed by pressing the Enter key.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.   

Please noticeThis log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Double click on this icon to open the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your dropbox account and post the link in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Yawellnofine

Yawellnofine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:56 AM

Hope i got this correct. Thanks for your help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/05x9drn19s1ttb5/CBS.log?dl=0

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:05 PM

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key, in the menu that opens click or tap on Command Prompt (Admin).  This will open the Elevated Command prompt.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Restart the computer to complete the repair.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Yawellnofine

Yawellnofine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:43 PM

Hi, sorry didnt work but if I understand the log correctly it needs my original windows disk, which is W7 64 bit. Would that repair Windows 10 64 bit ? ,If so to which directory would I point it. Thank again for assist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjvltimz33qkcvl/dism.log?dl=0

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

You posted this in the Windows 10 forum.  What I suggested was intended for a computer with Windows 10 installed.  The DISM command will not work on Window earlier than Windows 8.

I want to go over this so that I know we are on the same page.  As I understood this you were trying to upgrade from a 32-operating system to a 64-bit operating system.  In order to do this you will need a product code for the 64-bit version and the installation media to make the installation.  You can not convert a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system.  It has to be a fresh installation as stated previously.

#11 Yawellnofine

Yawellnofine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:20 PM

Sorry for the mix up, but i am using windows 10 64bit which I upgraded from Windows 7 64 bit last year. Everything has been running smoothly until the last update, which produced the problem in the screenshot. if I go to Windows update all I get is a blank screen with the menu on the left which I cant use. I have tried the manual fix from the microsoft help page but needless to say that didnt work either. Hope this helps.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:29 PM

In post #2 it was suggested that you rebuild the update components.  You posted that it didn't work.  At times FreeBooter forgets that some of our members need full instructions to do his suggested repairs.  See if the instructions below are easier to follow.

Reset Update Components

Open Notebook and copy and paste the batch script below in it.  Save this to the Desktop and name it UCReset.bat.

@ECHO OFF
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
echo.
PAUSE
echo.
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo.
echo Task completed successfully...
echo.
PAUSE

To run the batch script right click on the UCReset.bat file on the desktop and select Run as administrator.

Restart your computer and try updating again.

#13 Yawellnofine

Yawellnofine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

No joy I,m afraid.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/knk94eg10ty0yo0/resultUCReset.bat.png?dl=0

#14 Yawellnofine

Yawellnofine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:16 AM

My winows issues are sorted. I went ti the microsft website and downloaded the latest version of windows selected clean install, and happily every  thing works again as it should.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users