Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secunia PSI problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:09 PM

Dell XPS 8700 running Windows 10 Professional.  Avast Premier, MBAM Premium, MBAE Premium, WinPatrol, CryptoPrevent, etc.

My newly updated version of Secunia PSI is reporting 4 programs that need updating: Microsoft Autoruns, MS Process Explorer, NVIDIA GeForce, and Node.js

"Click to update" doesn't seem to work on those.

I have since manually updated MS Autoruns, MS Process Explorer, and NVIDIA GeForce.  Secunia PSI continues to report those as still needing updating.  Restarting has not changed that.

As for Node.js, what is that?  Something to do with Javascript, I suppose.

So what am I doing wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:12 PM

Node.js is a JavaScript runtime environment.

I guess you did not install that (seeing your questions), so it's probably installed and used by an application that you installed.

That application should update Node.js when it gets updated.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:18 PM

Yes, I did look up node.js afterwards.  I did not install it myself.

According to Secunia PSI, all other applications are up to date.

MS Autoruns and MS Process Explorer are both downloaded as ZIP files, then unpacked.  Maybe I have to do something more to let the system know they have been updated?

NVIDIA GeForce is updated in the more typical way; I ran the update and launched the program, no problems, but Secunia PSI still says it is not updated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users