Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do mother-in-laws give their son-in-laws squared flannel shirts for presents?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:40 AM

Hi all!

A relative of ours and her cohabitant have two daughters, who both have their own families with cohabitants and two children each.

For Christmas she oftentimes gives my dad and me squared flannel shirts for presents, and I think she gives her son-in-laws the same, although I do not know them in person, so I am not sure.

But since I myself am single, I do not like squared flannel shirts, so I am wondering whether I should ask her to give me sweaters in stead, however I guess that would be quite rude, so I rather choose the easy way out and give my dad the shirt, because, after all, he is married to my mom.

We also have a friend and his wife who have four children, i.e. two daughters and two sons, of which all are singles, except one daughter who has a cohabitant and a child.

When my mom told him about our relative giving us squared flannel shirts for presents, he replied cheerfully: "No one has ever managed to make my sons wear squared flannel shirts either!" :lol:

Could this be coincidental, or Do mother-in-laws give their son-in-laws squared flannel shirts for presents?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 28 December 2016 - 06:06 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:34 PM

Pleading ignorance....

This is the first I've ever seen the term "squared flannel shirt". A brief search using that term shows what I consider just plain old every day flannel shirts.

Is there such a thing as non-squared flannel shirt? What would distinguish one from the other?

Why would a single person not wear such a shirt....is this a Norwegian thing?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

Is there such a thing as non-squared flannel shirt?

Looks like there is

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=425224002&vid=1&locale=en_US&kwid=1&sem=false&sdkw=flannel-pocket-shirt-for-toddler-P425224&brandCvoSid=N7R76BT7D6B5&sdReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oldnavy.com%2Fproducts%2Fflannel-shirt.jsp

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:30 AM

Hi, buddy215 & NickAu!

Is there such a thing as non-squared flannel shirt? What would distinguish one from the other?

Why would a single person not wear such a shirt....is this a Norwegian thing?

Thank you both for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

What would distinguish a squared flannel shirt from a non-squared one, would be whether it has squares or not, respectively.

Not sure if this is a Norwegian thing, however the practise of wearing a squared flannel shirt is commonly associated with cohabitants and especially married men, although somewhat known.

And while we are speaking about clothing, maybe it is more well-known for married men to wear a suit jacket, one-color shirt and tie with similar colors, i.e. dark blue, blue and light blue.

So just like our friend's two single sons do not wear squared flannel shirts as they rather prefer sweaters, neither do I. :thumbup2:

Thank you both!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 28 December 2016 - 10:00 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:30 AM

Definitely a Norwegian thing...

We Americans trained to always be prepared....keep those flannel shirts around. Never know when one of your guests gets

snowed in...car won't start...or had one too many...needs some sleep wear.

flannel1.jpg

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:29 AM

I call those plaid flannel shirts. I wear them; my dad wore them. Lots of people I know wear them. Incidentally, I'm not a man. When I saw, "squared flannel shirt" I thought it had to do with the cut not the printed pattern.

And yes, I've seen plaid flannel shirts given as gifts quite often: from wives to husbands, from fathers to sons, from daughters to fathers, from fathers to daughters, from a son's employee to his employer's father. The list goes on. Flannel shirts here, plaid or no, are not associated specifically with either men or women, single or married, or even boys or girls. Folks of all sorts wear them. Speaking of which, in the picture above, that's clearly a woman wearing that shirt.

~ OB :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:26 AM

Hi, buddy215 & Orange Blossom!

Yeah, of course 'plaid' is the correct term, not 'squared'. Please forgive me, because I am Norwegian, English is not my first Language, so I guess one could say; "Lost in Translation" or something equivalent.

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 29 December 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:36 AM

That's perfectly okay. Though the word is "plaid." "Plain" means no pattern at all.

Your English is much better than my Norwegian which I can't speak at all. I know a very small smattering of Swedish, but I have no idea of how to write it.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:08 AM

Hi again, Orange Blossom.

Sorry, thanks, it has been corrected.

Regards,

midimusicman79

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users