Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 365 vs Office 2016

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:02 AM

What are the trade-offs of using Office 265 vs Office 2016 other than:

Advantages for Office 365:

1. Never having to upgrade again, always at the latest release.
  2. Access from multiple devices (PC, notebook, tables, phone?).
  3. Cloud backup?
  4. Data sharing with other users?

Advantages for Office 2016

1. One-time charge vs monthly charge.
  2. Better performance / response time?
  3. Requires internet connection?

Thanks

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:59 AM

1. Never having to upgrade again, always at the latest release.
  2. Access from multiple devices (PC, notebook, tables, phone?).
  3. Cloud backup?
  4. Data sharing with other users?
  5. Requires internet connection (if not installed locally)

Advantages for Office 2016

1. One-time charge vs monthly charge.
  2. Better performance / response time?
  3. Requires internet connection?

Depending on the Office 365 plan some allow the local installation that is exactly the same as Office 2016.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

I didn't know that Office 365 had a local installation option. Thanks for that info.

Is it also in the cloud and does it sync up when there is a connection?

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

I'm not sure but I think you need to use Onedrive Business to do that. Both Offices can load/save documents to the cloud space but need internet access.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:59 PM

<snip>

Yes it does sync up when you have a connection and need to access documents.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:18 PM

<snip>

Yes it does sync up when you have a connection and need to access documents.

Do you know where the applications (the software) are installed? Are they on my PC or is everything done via a browser?

Does this mean that I can access my docs from any internet capable device, such as iPad or iPhone, or just Microsoft devices?

Can I share my Outlook contact database with another Office 365 user, such as a business partner?

Thanks

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:45 PM

<snip>
Do you know where the applications (the software) are installed? Are they on my PC or is everything done via a browser?

Does this mean that I can access my docs from any internet capable device, such as iPad or iPhone, or just Microsoft devices?

Can I share my Outlook contact database with another Office 365 user, such as a business partner?

Thanks

In order of your quote above.

http://windowsitpro.com/microsoft-office/faq-get-local-version-office-office-365 (Still trying to locate the specific path myself) Found the info! C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16

https://products.office.com/en-us/mobile/office-mobile-apps-for-ios

https://www.codetwo.com/admins-blog/contacts-sharing-in-office-365/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

There are Office365 plans that allow you to download and install local versions of the full Office 2016 suite. In any event, most Office365 plans include Office Web Apps, which allows you to work with documents, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, etc. in a web browser.

If you have a plan that provides you with a downloadable version of Office, it installs in the same place as all other versions of Office: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office. There are also Mac versions of the Office suite available with Office365, if you have that kind of plan. Office Web Apps also works on Apple devices -- but be aware, the Safari browser doesn't support all the features.

OneDrive for Business is accessible from a web browser anywhere; the client app can also be installed on a computer. And you can share your contacts with other users, regardless of whether you have Office365 or not. Outlook works the same with Office365 as it does with any other mail server/system.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:23 AM

There are Office365 plans that allow you to download and install local versions of the full Office 2016 suite. In any event, most Office365 plans include Office Web Apps, which allows you to work with documents, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, etc. in a web browser.

For "home users", all the Office 365 plans come with the ability to locally install the desktop versions of the Office apps. The only thing that various is how many computers you can install them on, how many users your subscription supports (mainly for things like OneDrive storage space and associated email accounts), and whether or not it also includes the ability to install on tablets and/or phones. The web apps are free to use for home users, no subscription needed.

For "business users", then the lowest cost plan (currently $5 per month) is online apps only. The other two options allow the desktop apps to be installed on up to 5 computers per paid user (i.e. cannot pay for one user and then install the apps on 5 computers that 5 different people use). And as a business, you can mix and match plans (i.e. the lowest cost plan for some employees that do not need locally install desktop apps and higher level plans for those users who do need locally installed desktop apps).

OneDrive for Business is accessible from a web browser anywhere; the client app can also be installed on a computer.

There is also a OneDrive client for iOS, but not sure if it works with the business accounts (it does with the personal accounts...I have a personal account). It did not work with the business accounts for a while (I had a business account when working at a past company about 2 years ago).

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:27 AM

Assuming those documents are stored in the cloud, then yes.

The desktop versions of the Office programs that come with most Office 365 subscriptions are effectively no different than the stand alone bought versions (i.e. no Office 365 subscription). So, you can still store your documents only locally if you want. They are in a way more integrated with OneDrive since you do typically get OneDrive storage with your subscription. So, it should be easier to store you documents in OneDrive if you want.

But, then you could also still do this with other cloud services. For example, the iOS version of Word will also work with Dropbox stored files.

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:34 AM

• Never having to upgrade again, always at the latest release.

There are times where this can be a negative. Sometimes Microsoft removed features that people like and use or dramatically change the interface (aka the switch from menus to the "ribbon").

For example, Microsoft removed VisualBasic/Macros support from the Mac version of Office for a while. For those that needed it, they kept using the older version of the program. If Office 365 was in existence back then and those people where using it, then they likely would have been out of luck other than to try to go buy a used/old copy of the stand alone version.

And there can be learning curves for new version that can then affect productivity. The glaring example is the "ribbon" again. That required people to learn how to do many things again. That can happen with many more "significant" release versions, but to smaller scales typically (i.e. say a ribbon button for something is moved from one place to another). This is generally more of an issue for large businesses, but it can still effect individual home users or small businesses too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users