Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet adaptors intermittently dropping out

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Security Colleague
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:59 AM

Hi team! Hope you all had a Merry Christmas  :).

My issue has been going on for the better part of 3 months. The issue is basically this. Randomly, my wireless adaptor will cut my internet. By that I mean it will disconnect me, and despite there being available networks it will be unable to connect. Diagnosing and repairing through Windows just tells me to reset my internet modem and try again. Doing a full laptop restart usually fixes the issue. Sometimes I can go a day without it dropping, other times it takes 30 minutes. I also am connected to the same internet using my phone and can confirm it is only my laptop that is having this issue. When the wireless drops, ethernet also fails to work. And again, diagnosing and repairing through Windows makes no difference.

I live in a residential college. We connect to the internet mainly through Wi-Fi (there are adaptors near every 2nd room). We can also connect via an ethernet port in our room. Generally speaking, I connect via Wi-Fi. No one else in my building has this issue, only me. 

I am using an ASUS R500A laptop (4 years old). 64-bit 8GB RAM 2.5GHz 440GB HDD Windows 10. Never had this issue until recently.

What I have tried so far:

-rolling back my internet adaptors

-uninstalling my internet adaptors

-using older versions of the drivers

-using a different ethernet cable

-checking that drivers and services are running appropriately

-changing my IP from dynamic to static and vice versa

-disabling and re-enabling IPV6

Not really sure how to proceed next. Everything else in the laptop works fine, and this is an intermittent issue which makes me suspect it is software related.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend!

If I have helped you please consider donating to the Neuroscience Research Institute.

Posted Image
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:50 AM

There has been an ongoing issue with Windows 10 and Wifi. People have reported that disabling, not uninstalling, the LAN adapter in Device Manager helps. For some reason 10 gets confused when both the LAN and Wifi adapters are enabled.

Make sure your adapter set to Max Power in your Power Configuration settings. 

Windows 10 does not play nice with some adapter chipsets. Another option is to use a USB Wifi dongle compatible with Windows 10

You said you tried a different Ethernet cable. Does Ethernet also drop out? 

#3 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

Hello John!

In relation to your question, when one drops out the other doesn't work either. So in answer, yes it does.

In the meantime I will try your suggestion.

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend!

If I have helped you please consider donating to the Neuroscience Research Institute.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

If my suggestions do not work then try the following commands at an elevated command prompt. Press the Windows key + X, cmd as admin.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

This will reset winsock and the TCP/IP stack.

#5 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:37 AM

I haven't had the issue since disabling the LAN adaptor. Do you still want me to reset the stack anyway?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:51 AM

No, it's not necessary if the computer is not dropping a connection. 

#7 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:20 AM

Hey there.

It dropped out again tonight. Couldn't get it to reconnect until I had restarted...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:41 AM

I was also informed about the problem of Windows 10 connections being related to ipv6. Read the response to the first post here. Disabling ipv6 seems to also help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users