Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect WIFI Printer to SonicWall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 floridamichael

floridamichael

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:32 AM

Hello,

I just bought a SonicWall TZ-105w to install at the home. I bought it so I could learn more about SonicWalls. 

I can connect my laptop via WIFI and get out to the internet etc but I cannot get my WIFI printer to connect. It sees the SSID, I type in the Security key, and then it tries to handshake but ultimately fails. I run the printer Check Network Connection test and everything passes except for Detailed IP Setup Check. 

The Printer is connected to the SonicWall via WIFI but it is not getting a valid IP address. It should be getting a 172.16.31.xxx IP address but it is getting a 169.254.41.248 IP address. 

I am not sure where in the SonicWall I need to configure settings to allow this printer to properly connect via WIFI and get a valid IP address.

Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:56 PM

What are the wireless settings of the SonicWall? Also, what model printer? Last, does it work when wired?

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:36 AM

is the sonicwall dhcp server set to service the wifi interface?

#4 floridamichael

floridamichael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:46 AM

Thank you for the reply! The printer is an Epson WF-3640. The ethernet port does not work on it. I know WIFI does work because prior to installing the SonicWall I had it connected to a Comcast Gateway. 

I am not sure exactly what Wireless Settings you would like but I have included some screen shots. It's Radio Role is Access Point, And WLAN is enabled. 

As far as status it is enabled and I am connected to it currently from my laptop via WIFI. 

Attached Files

#5 floridamichael

floridamichael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:53 AM

Here is a copy of DHCP Server. I believe the settings are correct. 

Attached Files

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:46 PM

Looks like its finding the network and negotiating the physical connection well enough. One thing I notice is the DHCP range for your WLAN is 172.x.x.x which is a class B IP, while your old Comcast gateway probably used 192.x.x.x, or class C IPs. I wonder if this is causing a conflict with the DHCP client in the printer. This is assuming the printer is set to DHCP. Can you give any info on how the printer is configured from its LCD? 

Also, to make sure it's just a problem with DHCP, you could try setting the printer to static and make a DHCP reservation for that IP so nothing else gets it. See instructions here

Finally, when everything is working, do you plan on being able to send jobs to the printer from a ethernet connected computer?  If so, you need to create a static route between the ethernet and wireless interface to connect the two networks. 

#7 floridamichael

floridamichael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

I was finally able to get the printer an IP address by doing the following. I am not sure if I needed to do all 3 to get it to work. 

1. I went into Network>Zones>WLAN>Configure and then under the Wireless Tab I unchecked "Allow traffic generated by a Sonic Point"

2. I Went into Network>Zones>WLAN>Configure and under General Tab checked "Allow Interface Trust"

After I did those 2 things Under Wireless>Status I could then see the MAC address of the Printer

3. I then went into the Console of the Printer and assigned it a Static IP Address on the same Subnet and Gateway and DNS. After that I had to manually find the printer through the Add Printer Wizard. 

Again, I am not sure if I needed to do all 3 things but it is now working. I still have much to learn about SonicWall.

Thanks for your help!

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

Item 3 seems to be related to my suggestion, so I think the IP type was a issue. I think the main fix was the unchecking "Allow traffic generated by a Sonic Point" as described in this Sonicwall support article. Glad you figured that out, because I would have never guessed that. Oh the woes of a power user. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users