Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am getting a PCIE SSD and will use it as a boot drive, any advice?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:01 AM

After Christmas, I still had money left unspent (actually just unused credit on my credit cards, but anyhow... ), and decided to splurge on a Samsung 960 EVO drive like this one, except it was in stock at Samsung.com. I have also ordered an adapter card, in order to fit the drive to the PCIe gen 2.0 slot on my motherboard (the PCIe gen 3.0 slot is occupied by my GPU).  

I am fairly certain the Bios on my motherboard is sufficiently up to date, such that I can boot an OS off of it via NVME drivers that are native to this drive. I am currently running Windows 10 on this PC, and have a Win 10 iso file (ver 1607), which I can burn to a blank DVD. My plan is to install this drive, and simultaneously unplug all other drives, save the DVD drive. Once that is done, my hope is that I will be able to cleanly install Win 10 to the new PCIe SSD via a recently burnt Win 10 DVD. 

Once that is accomplished, I will re-connect all the drives I previously disconnected, and format each of them. Then I will re-install the software I actually intend on using on those drives. Before I start all this, I will have to back up a lot of my files, but I have a 2 TB external drive that has a few hundred GB free, and so I should be OK.

Anyone else want to share experience with something like this, or have experience with PCIe SSDs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:29 AM

Interesting Read for those (like myself) who are/were unaware.

Louis

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:42 PM

Nice read, hamluis. Always something to learn. Love it and thanks for it. :)

I have two thinkpads that boot from 128GB Samsung PCIe SSDs with 600GB Samsung SSDs in main drive bays. Set up for a couple years now and use daily. There have been zero (0) issues and get to a working desktop in less than 15 seconds. Also used a PCIe SSD in my desktop for a while with two HDDs for data and storage. Never use it anymore. Never had an issue there, either.

Not sure if it is common practice, but I try to keep programs with the OS drive. I do have games installed to other drives and they have been stable so maybe there is no fear of installing progs and apps to non-OS drives? IDK

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:48 PM

my current setup (I am still waiting on the 960 EVO and adapter card) is I have Windows 10 and most non-game programs on my 840 EVO SSD, while all my games are on a HDD with no OS on it. Never had any problems getting games or any other software to run that way.

I have read a little more on PCIe drives, and according to one source I found, you can't install Windows 10 to one from a SATA connected drive. Some sort of driver or controller issue that is beyond my ken. This would mean I couldn't use a Windows 10 DVD to install, so instead I have used a program called Rufus to make my USB thumbdrive into bootable installation media.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users