Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB PORTS NOT WORKING BUT DESKTOP BOOTS UP TO WINDOWS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimmycom380

jimmycom380

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:59 AM

Good day 

My Name is Jimmy im located in South Africa 

i have a Desktop problem that uses windows 7 Professional 

i run a internet cafe and one of my clients brought in a CPU that all the USB Ports are not working 

When i boot the computer it works well and goes straight to windows but i cannot use the keyboard or mouse because they are USB and all the USB ports are not working.

the Client told me that the operating system was not activated so does that cause that the USB ports not to work ??????

i tried resetting the CMOS and i removed the the battery

i also saw that on the motherboard there is no CMOS  Jumper

the desktop uses a old motherboard ASRock G31M - VS

Please help and thank you for the answers   

Edited by hamluis, 27 December 2016 - 05:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:02 AM

Board Specs.

USB drivers should load with Windows install and are PnP.

Asus Driver Support.

Have you tried PS connectors for mouse and keyboard?

Louis

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:21 AM

Worse case get a USB add-on card, i know i had to do that on my motherboard, had 8 USB on my motherboard and they all died, and you might be able to use a PS2 mouse and keyboard.

#4 steve.tabler

steve.tabler

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

A problem I see frequently on Windows with respect to USB ports is that driver settings for the USB ports are often set to power-down the port to save power.  So, if the ports that the keyboard and the mouse are plugged into happen to be powered-down, then neither will be capable of interacting with the computer once Windows has loaded.  I have sometimes seen these USB settings changed when installing Windows updates, so you have to watch these vigilantly.  Go into Device Manager, and check the drivers for  each and every USB device, look for a power management tab, and make certain that 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is unchecked in all of the USB devices.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

See page 10 and 18 of the manual for using the CMOS clear jumper. shadow's suggestion of using a USB expansion card is a good one. 

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/G31M-VS.pdf

See page 38 on your USB settings in BIOS. Make sure USB 2 support is enabled. Also the USB controller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users