Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: High-End Business Notebook

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:12 AM

Here are my answers to the template questions. I'll provide additional priorities below.

Laptop or Desktop? Notebook

My budget for the new computer is: Essentially unlimited.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Word, Excel, Access, some graphics (not high end), some simple photo editing, some simulations (R, MatLab). No gaming.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Windows, Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access), Acrobat, IrfanView, Visio, QuickBooks, R, Python, MatLab, FireFox, LogMeIn, GoToMeeting, other business software.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? No

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I tend to have quote a few (5-6 Word docs,

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? About 56GB of family photos, not much music.

Will you be overclocking? Not on purpose.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? I don't understand this question. I expect to order it online, probably from the manufacturer.

How many monitors are you planning to use? 2 at home, 1 on the road.

Do you need peripherals? I have several printers, scanners, fax machines, but they are all wireless. I also have a LAN (Cat5 & wireless).

OS? Windows (This seemed like a separate question, so I broke it off)

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? My old PC is 10 years old.

Here are my overall priorities. Priorities go from a high of 99 to a low of 00.

1. 99 Reliability Rock solid hardware.
  2. 96 Compute Power Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Acrobat, some graphics (IrfanView, Visio, not high end), some simple photo editing, some simulations (R, MatLab), some programming (Python, VB), LogMeIn, GoToMeeting. No gaming.
  3. 94 Disk Space Current hard disk is 465 GB, with 214 free. Family photos are 56 GB.
  4. 90 Screen Size As large as possible, 17” minimum.
  5. 85 Dual Screen Option.
  6. 82 Docking Station Or a way to make attaching external devices easy (backup drives, second monitor).
  7. 78 Screen Resolution Not for high-end graphics or gaming.
  8. 77 Battery Life I need at least 6 hours for cross country flights, 8-10 would be great.
  9. 50 Price Not a high priority
  10. 20 Weight Not important.

Thanks for any help

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,938 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:28 AM

probably something like THIS   

This thing can be customised    i7 or ig processor.....win 10 home or win 10 pro.......etc etc

Final price depends on what you put in it....but around $1600 Australian...(1200 USD approx)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users