Here are my answers to the template questions. I'll provide additional priorities below.
Laptop or Desktop? Notebook
My budget for the new computer is: Essentially unlimited.
What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Word, Excel, Access, some graphics (not high end), some simple photo editing, some simulations (R, MatLab). No gaming.
What software do you intend on using on the computer? Windows, Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access), Acrobat, IrfanView, Visio, QuickBooks, R, Python, MatLab, FireFox, LogMeIn, GoToMeeting, other business software.
Do you play games? If so, what type of games? No
Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I tend to have quote a few (5-6 Word docs,
Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? About 56GB of family photos, not much music.
Will you be overclocking? Not on purpose.
Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? I don't understand this question. I expect to order it online, probably from the manufacturer.
How many monitors are you planning to use? 2 at home, 1 on the road.
Do you need peripherals? I have several printers, scanners, fax machines, but they are all wireless. I also have a LAN (Cat5 & wireless).
OS? Windows (This seemed like a separate question, so I broke it off)
Any particular reason why you are upgrading? My old PC is 10 years old.
Here are my overall priorities. Priorities go from a high of 99 to a low of 00.
- 99 Reliability Rock solid hardware.
- 96 Compute Power Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Acrobat, some graphics (IrfanView, Visio, not high end), some simple photo editing, some simulations (R, MatLab), some programming (Python, VB), LogMeIn, GoToMeeting. No gaming.
- 94 Disk Space Current hard disk is 465 GB, with 214 free. Family photos are 56 GB.
- 90 Screen Size As large as possible, 17” minimum.
- 85 Dual Screen Option.
- 82 Docking Station Or a way to make attaching external devices easy (backup drives, second monitor).
- 78 Screen Resolution Not for high-end graphics or gaming.
- 77 Battery Life I need at least 6 hours for cross country flights, 8-10 would be great.
- 50 Price Not a high priority
- 20 Weight Not important.
Thanks for any help