Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Big Is Google?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

i wonder how big google is? like how many TB of data they must have? i cant belive google started in a dorm!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:11 PM

They probably have thousands apon thousands worth of Petabytes. If they have almost every result cached, your talking about copying and backing up the entire Internet, practically.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,146 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:32 PM

Here's some stats, as of Oct. 2004

Hardware

To provide sufficient service capacity, Google's physical structure consists of clusters of computers situated around the world known as server farms. These server farms consist of a large number of commodity level computers running Linux based systems that operate with GFS, or the Google file system, with the largest of these farms have over 1000 storage nodes and over 300 TB of disk storage (Ghemawat, S., Gobioff, H., and Leung, S. T., 2003, pp 2).
It has been speculated that Google has the world's largest computer. The estimate states Google as having up to:
899 racks
79,112 machines
158,224 CPUs
316,448 Ghz of processing power
158,224 Gb of RAM
6,180 Tb of Hard Drive space

M/Cyclopedia
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:02 PM

Google's content is only surpassed by the Mind of God.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:45 AM

Google's content is only surpassed by the Mind of God.
Regards,
John

Only because Google hasn't figures out how to index God' mind yet.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 Koc

Koc

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:59 AM

899 racks
79,112 machines
158,224 CPUs
316,448 Ghz of processing power
158,224 Gb of RAM