Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 9400 overheating

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:42 PM

Suddenly, this morning, my ancient Dell notebook started shutting down. It had been running for several days, I rebooted it as I do every day or so. After about 10-15 minutes, it made a sound like static on an old radio and shut off. I had to press and hold the power button to shut it down completely. I rebooted and it came right back up, but shut down again after 10-15 minutes.

Suspecting a cooling problem, I took it to a local PC repair shop. They said I need to replace the fan (which appears to be working) and the heat sink, which they said was "broken". The fan is available, but the heat sink is no longer stocked.

I tried to get the tech to explain to me how a heat sink can fail. It's a piece of metal, no? He was unable to explain.

I only need this machine to work for another month or two at the most, while I order a new one and move everything over.

Here's my question: Can I get something to add more cooling capacity? I'm thinking about something that will force air into or out of one of the air vents creating more circulation. I see a bunch of USB fans available, but I don't know how much air would actually get inside. Plus, would they would draw more current and make the situation worse?

I;d appreciate any suggestions

Edited by Cynthia Moore, 26 December 2016 - 09:50 PM.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:54 PM

G'day again,

if the fan is indeed still spinning/working, then there may be a build up of fluff/lint/dust etc etc inside where you cannot see it.

If you know someone with an air compressor or similar...get them to GENTLY blow through the opening......and hopefully move the dust etc to another place. This may be enough to get you out of strife for a month or two.  Sometimes a local mechanic will come to the rescue with a couple of short puffs from his air hose.

If you have a vacuum cleaner that BLOWS....that may also work

Using a vacuum cleaner to suck....is not usually advised...apparently it generates static electricity and that is capable of DESTROYING your notebook electronically. SO....BE WARNED>.

Whatever is used to blow...should not be placing moisture inside the notebook...for obvious reasons.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:26 AM

The fan is working. I can hear it coming on from time to time and the tech said it is working. He was fuzzy about why it needed to be replaced. It is also clean as is the entire interior of the notebook. He blew it out anyway.

According to the tech, dirt or dust is not the problem. And since I got home, it hasn't failed again.

So, again, my question is this:

1. Is there a way to hook up some sort of fan to one of the air vents that would provide additional air flow inside the chassis on a temporary basis?

2. Would that make any difference if I were able to get additional air flow inside the chassis?

3. I found this fan https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z9O1RA4/. How about if I attached one end of some small tubing to the back of the fan and the other end to one of the air vents in the side of the chassis? Would that help?

Again, l this is only temporary as the machine will be replaced in a couple of weeks. I just want to keep it from shutting itself off every 15-20 minutes.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:39 AM

If it hasnt failed since you got home.......then you may be in luck

What sort of surface does it usually sit on..?....hard flat surface or on a bed, cushion, etc

What is the temperature in the room where it is used ?

Yes that small fan may help....(even if it is using the notebooks usb outlet)....i am not sure how you would attach small tubing etc

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:52 AM

If it hasnt failed since you got home.......then you may be in luck

What sort of surface does it usually sit on..?....hard flat surface or on a bed, cushion, etc

What is the temperature in the room where it is used ?

Yes that small fan may help....(even if it is using the notebooks usb outlet)....i am not sure how you would attach small tubing etc

It sits on an elevated laptop stand with at least an inch of clearance all around -- good circulation.

It's in an office that is usually around 72 degrees (F).

Duct tape. It's only temporary.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:58 AM

circulation      :thumbup2:

Duct tape......   :thumbsup:

Go for it !

Happy New Year

Brian

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:20 AM

Purchase and always use a usb-powered external cooling fan assembly [one giant fan or twin fans] -- I have one for each of my two laptops -- they get quite warm, however, no more getting hot and suddenly shutting off.  And, yes, the internal laptop fan stuff works :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:08 AM

Purchase and always use a usb-powered external cooling fan assembly [one giant fan or twin fans] -- I have one for each of my two laptops -- they get quite warm, however, no more getting hot and suddenly shutting off.  And, yes, the internal laptop fan stuff works :)

How do you have the external fans setup? Can you post a photo?

I don't understand what you mean by "the internal laptop fan stuff works". Can you elaborate?

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:57 AM

How do you have the external fans setup? Can you post a photo?  I don't understand what you mean by "the internal laptop fan stuff works". Can you elaborate?

I don't know how to post a pic in here.  Here;s a couple of URLs:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiEs5u765TRAhUniVQKHWg-CNsQFggaMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FPowered-External-Super-Cooling-Laptops%2Fdp%2FB001AND77E&usg=AFQjCNGxGYMmWqGN9ku4mqIf_DDE3NU4xA&sig2=23v4wXgUrUgMbYOCV4vZpQ&bvm=bv.142059868,d.cGw

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiEs5u765TRAhUniVQKHWg-CNsQFgggMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FLaptop-Cooling-Pads-External-Fans%2Fb%3Fie%3DUTF8%26node%3D2243862011&usg=AFQjCNHW0z1Gco_V3qySjpRn43Ez72N_EA&sig2=5CchhfPWSL-Z1iehEEjMuA&bvm=bv.142059868,d.cGw

My laptop's internal cooling fan works, however, it took an external fan to keep laptop from getting hot.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#10 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:14 PM

I don't know how to post pics here, either, other than to upload them to Dropbox and post the link.

My question was how you had the fan positioned. Do you have it blowing at the back of the laptop, the side, ???

The cooling pads looked "cool", but the reviews are not good.

#11 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

How old computer is and how often you clean it from the inside (dust, grease, etc.)?
It how often, depends where it is used, but mint cleaning period is about 1 year.

You have to clean up all elements which are related to the cooling, ie the cooling radiators, fans, impellers (very important) etc.
The cleaning cannot be replaced with nothing else, even inclusion any additional fan or using Speedfan.
(http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php)

#12 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:30 PM

Hi, Cynthia.

Mm. Your local computer guy sounds like a typical male chauvinist wind-up merchant! I hate to say it, but you wouldn't believe the number of guys out there who automatically assume that the fairer sex are incapable of understanding tech. 

Not true. At all.

I, personally, know of at least 4 lasses who can program, and code, in Linux, along with the very best of 'em. And they very often show some of the so-called 'experts' up. Girls are more methodical....and tend to be better at checking, and re-checking stuff, where for a lot of guys, near enough is good enough.

Don't tell me you've never noticed that yourself.

We used to have a lass called Jemimah on the Puppy Linux Forums.....who could run rings around even some of the top Puppy developers. And she was good, too..!

My point being this; you're better off coming somewhere like this to get advice. It'll be a lot more impartial....but you still need to have the 'bull**** detector' running..!

(Don't get me wrong; not all guys are like that....there's plenty of decent ones on here. But there's an awful lot who are.....)

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 27 December 2016 - 01:48 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:52 PM

I don't know how to post pics here, either, other than to upload them to Dropbox and post the link.

My question was how you had the fan positioned. Do you have it blowing at the back of the laptop, the side, ???

The cooling pads looked "cool", but the reviews are not good.

I purchased 2 $80.00 units [for home use] and 1 $15.00 unit for school & coffee shop usage] from Altex Electronics of Austin; I never had a problem with any of those three.  I miss-posted about positioning a fan, there is no fan positioning  :)  I only gave the two Amazon URLs to show you what I meant by usb-powered external cooling fan assembly.

#14 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:19 PM

G'day again,

if the fan is indeed still spinning/working, then there may be a build up of fluff/lint/dust etc etc inside where you cannot see it.

If you know someone with an air compressor or similar...get them to GENTLY blow through the opening......and hopefully move the dust etc to another place. This may be enough to get you out of strife for a month or two.  Sometimes a local mechanic will come to the rescue with a couple of short puffs from his air hose.

If you have a vacuum cleaner that BLOWS....that may also work

Using a vacuum cleaner to suck....is not usually advised...apparently it generates static electricity and that is capable of DESTROYING your notebook electronically. SO....BE WARNED>.

Whatever is used to blow...should not be placing moisture inside the notebook...for obvious reasons.

Hey, bloke, it looks like you were right. The tech at the repair shop took it apart and blew it out -- nothing more. It has been working for a day without a failure. So I'm guessing there was more dust in there than was obvious or maybe some has caused the fan to not be able to go at full speed. In any case, it appears to be working now.

Thanks

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:37 PM

Pleasure.

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users