Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar or desktop unresponsive - ctrl/alt/del to unfreeze

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pnoetzel

pnoetzel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:25 PM

I have a Lenovo Z710 ideapad running Windows 10 with all the latest updates as well as driver updates.  I have also run a full virus scan (avast), have minimal startup items, and have run the tweaking.com repair tool.  I have also uninstalled all the software items I do not use.

Randomly, usually upon initial startup or if I leave the computer for a while (and i have mine set up to never sleep or hibernate), the taskbar or desktop suddenly become unresponsive.  I hover my cursor over a quick launch or desktop icon and the translucent box that would indicate you are over it does not appear and clicking it does nothing.  Other times, open windows will be frozen as well and clicking to minimize or close the window does not work.

No matter which of the above things occur (oddly, it is usually just one - like just the taskbar or just the desktop icons), I have to press ctrl/alt/del, click the left-hand mouse button anywhere on the screen, and select "cancel" for things to start working normally again.  I have no idea what the connection is between an unresponsive taskbar or desktop and simply going into the ctrl/alt/del menu.

Unfortunately, I do not know specifically when this started, so I cannot associate this issue with the installation of any specific software or driver update.

I have done extensive searches on the internet but could not locate anyone with my specific problem.

I am at the point of needing to reinstall Windows as that is how irritating this is.

Sorry if I left out any important info.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:01 AM

Assuming you haven't reinstalled Win 10 yet, might be worth just resetting your PC, You will lose any programs you have installed but have the option to keep your files. I have encountered this problem a few times where file explorer just continually crashes and only solution I have found to work consistently was a computer reset. You can do this by searching "Reset" in the windows 10 search bar and the option "Reset this PC" should appear. Click on that and follow the steps. This process usually takes 30-60 Minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users