Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Migration Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike357

Mike357

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:21 PM

Here's the situation. A friend's hard disk finally decided to die for no apparent reason.

It gives the message "Drive 0 on the primary EIDE controller is operating outside of normal specifications"
It then advises to back up any data. Only problem is, it refuses to boot to windows. I did some homework on the error message and found that it means that the HD is dying. I opened the box and listened, sure enough it's whining in the typical screwed-HD fashion. So, my question is this; I'd like to attempt to transfer the contents of his disc over to a blank spare of mine, but I'm running into some problems of my own with it.

I downloaded DriveClone migration software thinking it would be a snap, but my spare won't let the master HD (a serial ata) boot to windows without an "NTDLR is missing" message stopping the whole show. If the spare isn't connected, his dying HD wants to try and boot to windows (getting the EIDE controller message). I've tried messing with the slave and master settings to no avail, and the only HD the migration program will recognize is my comp's serial ata.

Where do I start? What do i fix first? Thanks for any assistance you might be able to give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:28 PM

To be honest this is not really my fortay but when a harddrive starts making noises it is normally too late, the tick, tick, tick being the death knell. In stead of driveclone I would just slip the harddrive into a caddie and take off only the stuff I need, the less use the better if it is dying that is.
everyday is a gift

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:48 PM

There's an interesting solution using Ubuntu posted elsewhere in the forums - just a sec, I'll search for it...........

Got it! Here's the link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=347616

This post (and the next one by me) describe how to do this over a network - it should be simple to just copy it to another hard drive using the Ubuntu live distro.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users