Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Is Malwarebytes Free Download

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cfourkays

cfourkays

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:35 PM

I put Malwarebytes Free on most of my customers PCs. They're mainly seniors who really don't need the full version.

Right now all I can find is the new 3.0xxx versions which only load as a trial.

Did they do away with the free version?

Pete

[URL=http://petespcworks.com/petehand.gif]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:42 PM

Hi:

The installer -- at least for 2.2.1.1043 -- is the same for Free, Trial and Premium.

The 14-day Trial is enabled by default, UNLESS the user opts out during the setup wizard.

If the user ends up with the Trial by mistake, then one can end the Trial before it runs out by clicking the link in the dashboard.

The 2.2.1.1043 installer (which is MUCH more stable than version 3.0) is available here at bleeping:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

or here:

https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/web/mbam-setup-2.2.1.1043.exe

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mbam_2x

I *think* that one can also opt-out of the Trial during the version 3.0 setup wizard, or one can end the Trial the same way (by clicking a link in the GUI).  From the UG:

The Trial is a 14-day opportunity to use the Premium version of the program, and to see if it is better suited to your needs. The Trial is available at no cost, but you can only use it one time for each version of Malwarebytes 3.0. The Free Trial is automatically started during installation. Once installed, the program provides options to convert from Free to Premium, and from Trial to Premium. If you elect to use the Free Trial and do not wish to purchase a Premium subscription at the end of the Trial, your Malwarebytes 3.0 program will revert to Free mode. The only differences will be that the added features enabled by the Trial will cease to function — all other functionality remains unchanged.

Clarification: It appears that one cannot opt-out of the Trial during the setup wizard for 3.0.  One can only end the Trial from the GUI?

If you are currently using the Trial version of Malwarebytes 3.x and wish to immediately revert to the Free version, the following steps can be taken:

• Click the Settings menu.
  • Click My Account.
  • Click Deactivate Premium Trial.

HTH,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 26 December 2016 - 07:49 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:46 PM

There is no difference between the Free, Trial and Premium download files. The installer/setup for all three are the same. If you are installing for the first time during the install, it will ask if you want a 14-day trial mode. After the trial you can choose to continue using Free or upgrade to paid Premium. If you decide to purchase the Premium version, then you will be provided a license that will activate the product and enable the Premium features.

However, you still can get older versions if you like...Malwarebytes 3.0, 2.0 & 1.75 download as noted by MoxieMomma.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:49 PM

After 14 days:

DO NOTHING

Malwarebytes 3.0 reverts to a manual scanner that detects and cleans up malware infections only when you run a scan. You can upgrade to Premium at any time.

Per: https://www.malwarebytes.com/trial/

So it's the same as the previous versions in that regard.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:55 PM

^^ That will work, too.  ^^

However, as you mentioned, some of your clients may be a bit overwhelmed by the new version, especially in Premium/Trial mode.

It's not particularly stable yet (19+ pages of issues reported at the product forum).

The other way to get back to the Free version is to do a clean R&R, as the current policy is 1 Trial per PC per major program version.

However, there is no cleanup/removal tool for version 3.0 yet.

And many folks have reported issues with uninstalling and reinstalling version 3.0.

So, I probably would not suggest using the strategy at this time.

IMHO, I would continue to install 2.2.1.1043 on my clients' computers for now.

>>>Make sure that the setting to automatically check for PROGRAM updates is disabled, in order to postpone an automatic upgrade to version 3.0.

(They are not pushing version 3.0 out to 2.2.1.1043 users yet.  But, you may want to postpone it until it is more stable.)

MM

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:01 PM

...IMHO, I would continue to install 2.2.1.1043 on my clients' computers for now.
>>>Make sure that the setting to automatically check for PROGRAM updates is disabled, in order to postpone an automatic upgrade to version 3.0.
(They are not pushing version 3.0 out to 2.2.1.1043 users yet.  But, you may want to postpone it until it is more stable.)

I agree...that would be the best course of action for now.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users