Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP pro user would like to change the storage drive to NTFS

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rayoptics

Rayoptics

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:33 PM

There's a catch of course . . . . This fat32 USB storage is an old 120 gb hard drive in a case. It's got pics on it, help files and of course some music. When you copy a music file to the desktop to play it you get a message

Attached File  FileFormat.png   13.21KB   1 downloads

Obviously the file cannot be played in WMP 11. Is there some way to convert the storage drive to NTFS without losing any data stored on it ? I wish Media Player wasn't so fussy and would play anything. Please keep your answer simple.  BTW, you folks are the greatest. I hope everyone has a good 2017.  Thanks, Alan

:)

Edited by Rayoptics, 26 December 2016 - 07:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

Whether the disk is FAT32 or NTFS should not make a difference when copying files to a NTFS partition. I do it all the time from USB flash drives that are formatted FAT32 including MP3 files. 

The MP3 is either corrupted or it's possible it has some other extension tied to it. In XP is showing file extensions enabled? Do MP3 files play from other sources.

You can convert FAT32 to NTFS without affecting the data but it is Always recommended you back up the files on the drive being converted because something can always go wrong.

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:57 PM

Odd, whens the last time you updated your codecs.

As well that kind of popup sets off alarm bells in my head.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/what-file-is-that-how-to-identify-unrecognized-files-types-and-format/

And why you using M$ media player, why not use VLC ? 

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

From what I can read, the error message is complaining that the file is created in a foreign format, not mp3. So...where are you getting this file from? I had a problem once (not exactly this one) when creating a CD music disk, but the car my friend drove to work (a work beater) is older and will only read older WAVE files, so I had to use a conversion program to convert the mp3 files to WAVE files, then it played perfectly. I wonder if something like that is your problem? Try running the problem file(s) through a converter, but don't convert to a different format....keep the mp3 setting and see if that straightens the file out.

And definitely try a different player, I use VLC (as shadow suggested above) and it seems to play anything.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:16 PM

The MP3 files may be damaged because WAV files from other folders play just fine. I'll give VLC a try.  Thanks guys.  :-)

#6 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

The MP3 files may be damaged because WAV files from other folders play just fine. I'll give VLC a try.  Thanks guys.  :-)

Do you have a codecs pack installed that all would be able to play .mp3?

#7 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

I assume so because MP3s on the desktop play just fine. It's some of the ones on the storage drive that don't. They have a file size of 0

#8 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:46 PM

Then really have no other option if they are violated.

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:28 PM

Ps as for the NTFS topic this can format anything you want in 20 diffent flavors.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:57 PM

If the file size is zero...there is no content.  Nothing to be played, listened to, etc.

Louis

#11 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

Ps as for the NTFS topic this can format anything you want in 20 diffent flavors.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

I've tried Mint, Zorin, Lubuntu and I found them too confusing and some features don't work. The end of the road will be LXLE.

#12 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:25 PM

If the file size is zero...there is no content.  Nothing to be played, listened to, etc.

Louis

Yeah, it's like - How to play zero length music files for dummies. Kind of like my brain, No content :-)))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users