Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Update KB3033929 wreaking havoc for driver installation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mholden020

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:51 PM

I received a set of Fanatec racing pedals for Christmas and have run into a major issue today while trying to install the driver for the device.  It centers around Windows Update KB3033929 and the process is as follows:

- The Fanatec Driver installation runs and eventually displays an error message that KB3033929 is necessary to install the driver onto my computer.  It will then say the installation has failed due to the missing update and close.

- I manually downloaded the KB3033929 update installer and attempted to run it, however the installation failed with an error message saying that the update is already installed.

I've checked in the Windows Update "Installed Updates" list and cannot find the update in the list at all.  Running a Check for Updates produced no new updates at first, however two were found (KB2xxxxxx) following the Windows Troubleshooter and a file cleanup for Windows Update.  Since those two steps, no new updates have been found.

I also followed the steps in this topic to get a list of updates installed on my computer:  http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=25282939&sid=de6056bdf81c227d29ce2d57006958bb#p25282939.  This generated the text file (yay, I did it right!) but KB3033929 is not on this list.  This, plus the fact that it's missing from the Installed Updates list, leads me to believe that it isn't installed at all on my computer.  Since I cannot install it through the manual installer or Update Check, the driver installation is impossible.  I tried older drivers, but they were all released before my product was released, and don't work with my product at all.

I'm currently on Windows 7 64-bit, my last format and reinstall was two weeks ago.  I have a copy of Windows 7 and 10, and unless I can find any help here, choosing one of those to install is the only option I seem to have left.  There are many topics around the internet on KB3033929's issues, but few represent the issue I'm seeing.  Of those, almost none have a solution to the problem.  I feel like I've done everything I can to explain to my computer that the update isn't installed, and it simply won't listen.  

I worked in IT throughout my high school years and a few years following that, and this board has been the source of solutions for so many issues that I lost count and I'm hoping that some magician will come along with some advice  :lol:

Thanks for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jlp33

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:01 PM

I was having the same problem on my father's windows 7 machine that I just got him a CSL Elite Wheel for.  Here's some back story and how I managed to get the drivers installed.

Microsoft has started releasing monthly Security Roll-ups that include a lot of previous hotfixes that get installed via Windows Update.  He had some problems with Windows Update freezing and causing the pc to restart, so I changed his updates to manual mode... which he didn't keep up with for over a year.

I recently brought him up to date and installed a few of the monthly "Security Roll-up" hotfixes.  Since he did not previously have the KB3033929 update installed, the Monthly hotfix updated those files, but it doesn't record the KB3033929 as being installed in whatever log the .msi installer package looks for updates when it does its hotfix check.

Here's the fix that worked for me:

I uninstalled all the monthly security roll-up hotfixes(had to manually google the KB numbers and compare to the installed updates list because they aren't named anything different in the installed updates list)

Then I installed the KB3033929 by downloading the standalone installer from Microsoft's website, restarted and Voila!

Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users