Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Based Processor? Is it Possible?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 littleman27

littleman27

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:17 AM

HI i'm new and i'm not sure if this is the proper place to post somthing like this but if it's not i'm sure a mod will correct it :D

But anyway, i was thinking to my self how crappy my cpu is because it is 1.3ghz so i was wondering if there was a way to have a processor that ran as a software(Internet Based) instead of Hardware, like i have now and that would cost money to replace. So  that then i could have a 2.0ghz processor without spending money or getting a new computer every time a new game comes out

Edited by hamluis, 26 December 2016 - 12:49 PM.
Moved from Tips/Tricks to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:48 PM

FWIW: If you are a gamer (I am not), then the first thing that you should realize is that games are not intended to be like programs. By that, I mean that a well-written program can be run on various systems (without any consideration of hardware change/upgrade)...while the nature of gaming (as I perceive it) is to have a perpetual flow of new games with new system requirements.

Example: In 2000, I purchased a program called Cool Edit 2K. The system requirements for it are rooted in hardware capabilities of 2000 and this is 2017...the program still runs well on my XP and Win 7 installs...there is no reason at all for me to seek a later version or a replacement.

IMO, games are developed from an entirely different perspective and the amount of enjoyment one derives is highly contingent upon the hardware a given system contains. Worse (from my perspective) is that developers of games are continually developing games which make anything but newer hardware components...mandatory for optimum enjoyment. And all gamers seem to want optimum enjoyment :). Gamers therefore are the target market, not only for new games, but also for new hardware components.

I see no way for any gamer to escape this pattern...other than to make a decision not be part of the pack chasing the latest ultimate enjoyment playing the latest games.

Online apps, online gaming...I know nothing of these things game...but it seems to me that what you want is impossible and the closest that you can come would possibly be online gaming.

Louis

#3 littleman27

littleman27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:52 PM

beyond the gaming i also use development software, and i greatly apprecitate your reply i have learned from it. But my question still stands: can i have a processor that runs as a software to speed up my computer via internet not hardware?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

In order to deliver reasonable performance, a CPU has to be able to communicate with the rest of the computer system (memory and video for example) at an extremely fast data rate, gigabytes per second. An internet connection at, say, 100 megabit per second, is about a quarter the speed of the communication bus in the original 4.77MHz IBM PC. So an internet based software CPU running at any speed, would have less performance than the first IBM PC from 1981.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 littleman27

littleman27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

:( Okay Thanks :D

#6 littleman27

littleman27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:49 PM

I was told that back in the windows xp days there were software's you could download to speed up your computer. Do you know any that would speed up my computer on a windows 10?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:14 PM

There are programs/utilities...that purport to increase system efficiency...none of them provide any real proof that validates the claim.  I suggest that you not ever consider installing such on any version of Windows.

Many software developers...and hardware developers...have no problem taking advantage of the lack of knowledge that many new computer users now seem to have.

Louis

#8 littleman27

littleman27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:36 AM

Thanks I greatly appreciate the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users