Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Monitor Not Displaying Properly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RBYRNES86

RBYRNES86

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

I have a Dell laptop with a docking station that connects via USB.  I have an ACER monitor that I use as my main monitor when my laptop is docked.  Recently, a black band has appeared around the edge of the display on this monitor and I can not get the display to take up the full size of the monitor.  I have updated the video card and tried disconnecting and reconnecting the USB docking station.  Can someone help to try to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

The effect may be occurring in the monitor itself, check through the monitor's OSD to see if there is any option such as underscan that has become enabled.

Does the laptop have the normal secondary monitor output independent of the docking station? If it does, try the monitor directly connected to the laptop, to eliminate if there's something going on with the docking station.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 RBYRNES86

RBYRNES86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:17 PM

I don't see anything that has become enabled when I look through the OSD.  

Also, the laptop does not have the secondary monitor output so I can't test it that way.  This docking station has operated with this monitor for about 3 years now with no issues until now.  I'm really frustrated as to what caused it.

Any other items I should check?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

Make sure the monitor displays normally when connected to a different computer, or whether a different monitor (e.g. borrowed) does the same thing on yours.

A process of elimination narrows down the options, and helps to show where to look for a cause.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users