Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI Laptop questions? Help for future purchase!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ZayZe

ZayZe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

So I've been thinking about buying a powerful laptop, and I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with them. I'm in the military and I'll be in need of something more portable than my gaming desktop that I currently have. I don't trust people around my belongings, and just because you may serve the country, they still are thieves and other things.. haha. Also I was wondering if it was worth it to get a SLI laptop? (Dual graphics card)

I play some graphically intense modern games. One for example would be Arma 3. I do casual stuff like just write things. I know what you mean by some gaming laptops are a bit overpriced, but I'm no newbie in the PC department. One of the laptops I've been looking at are here.

Click Here

I should be more specific about what I'm asking about. What I'm asking is like.. what's the reliability of a laptop? Is it good to invest in a expensive laptop? Do they overheat a lot of the time? Are SLI laptops more prone to that than just a single graphics card laptop?

I'll have a safe place to store it, but if I were to bring my desktop, it's just a big honkin' thing that I don't want to haul around.

The idea of buying a laptop is to make it easier to haul around so when I move to a new duty station or if I get deployed it's nothing but a thing to bring it along.

Give me some thoughts and feedback!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZayZe

ZayZe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:07 AM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4568789&CatId=3998 is the link and thanks :P but I was hoping for more input

#3 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

I have this exact laptop but the 4K version, and I love the thing.

Non-gaming the battery lasts a good 2-4 hours, and as long as it is on a hard flat surface (shelf/table, etc) with room around it the heat is not bad at all. Especially with the fan boost button if needed (press the button and the fans kick on full speed for relatively quick cooling)

For a 1080P laptop there is definitely no need for an SLI system. All that will achieve is more heat and less battery.

The GTX1080 is very powerful and runs everything that I have thrown at it with hardly a cough even. That's at 4K even so even if you have a 4K TV you are putting this through it can handle it no problem.

My previous laptop was a 2012 MSI GT72 and it worked very well and held up very well too, the only reason I got rid of it was because I accidentally fried the motherboard (dumping 100V through the USB port kills a motherboard right quick). But the old one with 4 series i7, DDR3 RAM and a GTX770M could run pretty much anything that I wanted it to,

To sum up as long as you expect to be plugged in when playing games, and you are able to have a little room around it for ventilation, I would highly recommend that laptop, it will not steer you wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users