Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ALT-TAB out of fullscreen apps and games

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jkeith2k

Jkeith2k

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:28 AM

Mods Please forward if in the wrong section sorry but its windows 10 related

I noticed ever since i switched to windows 10 I cant alt-tab to desktop anymore from full screen app or games.

I've tried running virtual desktop as an alternate method but not even that works. I was wondering if there was some

kind of technical workaround or am i doing something wrong or maybe a third party solution? Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MichaelV702

MichaelV702

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:24 AM

I know that you can switch the ALT + Tab back to the classic style that you may be familiar with from Windows 7 by making a small registry tweak but before reading on and following my steps please understand I'm not familiar with your tech level and using Windows Registry Editor can be dangerous that can cause permanent damage to your system if used improperly. Also bleeping computer as well as myself wouldn't be responsible for damage if you follow the steps and something were to go wrong...

That is just a advisory I put on ANY post that includes registry play so please understand why I do it is because I've seen others use it and cause major damage.

1. Launch Registry editor: Press Win+R keys on your keyboard, the "Run" dialog will appear. Type regedit without quotes and press Enter. Continue with the UAC prompt.
  2. Go to the following Registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
  3. Create a new 32-bit DWORD value named AltTabSettings and set it to 1. alt-tab-600x467.png
  4. Sign out of your computer or reboot it then log back in
  5. Now try ALT + Tab to see if this has resolved your issue

Alt + Tab before the registry change:

windows-10-alt-tab-before-600x316.png

Alt + Tab after the registry change:

windows-10-classic-alt-tab.png

References from the internet:

How to get the old Alt Tab dialog in Windows 10

Also if you're un-familiar with Registry Editor feel free to reference this page

Both above resources come from "Winaero.com" please be cautious when viewing their pages as some advise using "Registry Tweaker tools" and other tools to accomplish the registry change I have laid out... Be warned that most of those tools come packed with Adware/Malware so simply use the pages as references for my steps posted here if needed.

Please feel free to post your result if it worked or not so I can confirm more successful cases on this work-around.

Thank you.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:40 AM

You can view your Desktop by pressing Windows Logo + D keys.

2GvnEq2.gif

#4 Jkeith2k

Jkeith2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:55 AM

Thanks for all suggestions but the problem is that pressing any of those windows key combinations does absolutely nothing while im in a full screen game almost like the game isn't allowing it? Maybe? because i can alt tab out of any other situation except from a game. This problem didn't exist in previous versions of windows.

EDIT: It seems to mainly happen with standalone games, not games that I launch from my steam library

EDIT 2: Do some games disable windows keys possibly? If so, is there a workaround?

Edited by Jkeith2k, 27 December 2016 - 01:59 AM.

#5 Jkeith2k

Jkeith2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:20 AM

Got some suggestions from some other forums as well no luck i guess im stuck

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members