Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Linux themes from noobslab.com

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:18 PM

Hello. I've found a website that offers free themes and conkies for Ubuntu Linux. Do any of you guys have some experience with this website, and are able to tell me whether this site is safe or not? It seems like common IT sense that it's not safe to download random files from the internet, but are these safe?

http://www.noobslab.com/2013/10/acvamarin-theme-and-icons-for.html

http://www.noobslab.com/p/themes-icons.html

http://www.noobslab.com/2012/07/conky-collection-for-ubuntulinux.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:45 PM

I have THIS  addon installed in Firefox.

I right click on a file/link etc....such as the first one in your post above......

It returns THIS report

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:57 PM

It appears that your suggested addon for Firefox scans download links. Thank you for this suggestion.

However, noobslab.com provides instructions to install their software via the terminal. Do you know if this is safe?

For example:

To install Acvamarin in Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:

Terminal Commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/themes
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install acvamarin

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:35 PM

Yes its safe, I have used thier ppa's in the past no issues

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:48 PM

Installing stuff from noobslab is fine, I use their PPA's all the time.

Edited by NickAu, 25 December 2016 - 11:16 PM.

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:55 AM

Hi, BlueGalaxy.

I concur. Even though I no longer run the 'buntus, I too have used the noobslab PPAs before now. They're highly thought of 'around the block'; there's nothing there that'll come back to bite you. If there is, I've never heard of it.....and there's many reputable sites that will refer you to them for themes'n'stuff.

In a nutshell.....it's as safe as anything on the 'net can be considered to be these days. You don't stay on the web for very long if you're 'scamming' people, or installing crap on their machines; word soon gets around!

The terminal is recommended because that's the quickest & simplest way to install their PPA. I believe in Ubuntu it uses the same 'wget' mechanism as in the Puppies; it's a standard Linux command-line utility, which gives you a link to the net via the terminal, and allows you to download stuff, using the same.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 26 December 2016 - 06:00 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users