Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Application Is Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Trind

Trind

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:07 PM

Hello and Merry Christmas!

My computer has, just today, started this issue where internet connectivity will drop and the active program window will become unresponsive. I cannot open new programs, new windows, CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and CTRL+ALT+DEL do not work, the start menu doesn't respond and eventually all I'm left with is that the mouse is able to be moved. After a time a small error message opens that says effectively "The application has stopped responding." and it does not indicate any program that is not responding, just Microsoft Windows. Clicking on Cancel or End Process does not do anything. I'm unable to end any unresponsive tasks anyway because I cannot open Task Manager or a command prompt window. I can't even shut down.

After several minutes the issue goes away and I can use the machine again, but only for a little while because it happens again.

Through Google I've found where other people have had this issue but none of the things they say fixed theirs is working on mine.

I have tried:

Microsoft Security Essentials

Malwarebytes'

ComboFix

Hitman Pro

CCleaner

sfc /scannow  (which did find an error and corrected it)

chckdsk

Safe Mode (works with no problems, it's how I'm writing this post)

I ended the dwm.exe task because some people said that's what was causing the issue, but it happened again shortly after I did this.

Let me know if you need more information. Thanks!

Edit: Maybe I fixed it. In safe mode I uninstalled every anti-malware and antivirus I had except Microsoft Security Essentials, booted normally, and it hasn't happened in about ten minutes. Here's hoping.

Edited by Trind, 25 December 2016 - 09:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:57 AM

FWIW:  Employing more than one AV at the same time...is known to cause system problems.

Let us know if problems return.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:40 AM

To take Louis's post on step further...

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Yabba Doo

Yabba Doo

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

I thought anti-virus was one category and malware was another and spyware was another.  But after reading this I'm starting to wonder if, in this context, they're the same.  Does Avast cause problems if run with Malwarebytes, Emisoft Anti-Malware, and SUPERAntiSpyware?  And do programs like HitmanPro affect it?  If they all have to be deleted but one, can the programs be saved to disk to be run when needed?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

Malware is also known as malicious software, this is software used to disrupt computer or mobile operations, gather sensitive information, gain access to private computer systems, or display unwanted advertising.  Before the term malware was coined malware was referred to as virus, hence the term antivirus.  These can consist of Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs), Adware, Trojans, Backdoor Trojans which the culprit which can gather sensitive information, gain access to private computer systems.

Antiviruses are the only application which should only have one installed on a computer.  Most malware applications can be installed beyond one without causing problems... usually.  Applications like Malwarebytes, Emsisoft Anti Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware, and HitmanPro can be installed without conflicting with each other.  The exception to this are some antimalware application which can occasionally conflict with each other, especially if they are active application.

As stated in post #3, you should not have more than one antivirus application installed at any given time as two can and often will conflict with each other.

Does that answer your questions?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Yabba Doo

Yabba Doo

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:06 PM

That's a great explanation! Thank you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:10 PM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users