Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Swapping hard drives between 2 desktops

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Brandie123

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:15 PM

I have an HP desktop 110 417c that says no bootable device found. Window8. I recently bought a refurbished HP dc5800 sff has windows 10. The DC5800 will not aloow playing of games can I take the hard drive from DC5800 and put it in the 110 417c?

Mod Edit

Moved from System building.

Edited by NickAu, 25 December 2016 - 10:44 PM.
Mod edit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:35 PM

Probably, but i doubt windows will like it, never douse.

#3 ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:59 PM

The problem you will most likely have is that each OEM installation of Windows is tied to the motherboard that the manufacturer has installed. When you swap HDDs, there will be a different operating system installation for that motherboard, so it will flash a "not genuine" notice from Windows. Eventually it will shut down. But.....doesn't hurt to try.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users