Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chaotic security thoughts from an old newbie

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:03 PM

Hello!

I am observing various things on my computer and I would like to write a lot, but I am not sure they are relevant. Basically, I was a bit alarmed, because the cpu sounds as if its always working. You know the sound your pc makes when you are searching for something on explorer? That kind of sound. This is just not normal, especially when I am not doing anything at the computer, why would it make these sounds, as if it is reading the drive? Like a classic paranoid (I used to be a security enthusiast but many many years ago with different technology...) I started thinking that someone could have gained access into my pc. After a lot of googling and various paranoid and false conclusions I finally saw that netbios was enabled. Last time I checked (prolly 10 years ago...) netbios had been set to disabled by default in XP SP2 if I remember correct. I am not sure one can still exploit this like one could a decade ago, but I was surprised to see it enabled and I disabled it. It is probably a coincidence but there is total silence from my pc now and I really like the sound of it.

Any thoughts or any kind of advice is welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:56 AM

Netbios is a joke, hackers love it !

btw what Os you using ?

#3 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:58 AM

Thats what I remember from 10 years ago. Dont know if its still so exploitable. My OS is win 7 ultimate sp1.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:12 AM

Bin trying to turn off all the ports in win7 my self, seems its hell to do and to lock down win7, don't know why that is seeing as in any version of windows, winxp or older its not a problem to do.

Edit: typo fix

Edited by shadow_647, 26 December 2016 - 04:26 PM.

#5 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

I have no idea how you do that but I guess that's an interesting topic to google :D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users