Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard on board sound just doesn't sound right...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mbland148

Mbland148

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

Windows 10 i7 4770k
16GB DDR3
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming motherboard
Nvidia 780 GTX

Symptoms:

The on board sound from my motherboard just doesn't sound right. The sound is kind of "tinny" or "sharp" and there is a bit of static at higher volumes, some echoes as well. I'm using Audio Technica ath-m50x headphones plugged into the headphone jack of my tower desktop.

Example: Playing Mass Effect 1; scrolling through the main menu options produces a "tick" sound. This sound is so loud and sharp it is almost like nails on a chalk board. Sound in general just doesn't sound very clean, almost very treble like.

Playing any game: When the sound increases suddenly in volume a hint of static can be heard, does not sound right.

I built this PC back in 2013. Since then, I have been using Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers and do not recall any audio distortions when plugging my headphones into the 3.5mm jack. I took a break of several months away from PC gaming and came back to find my speakers no longer working. To remedy this, I plugged my headphones into the green audio jack of my PC tower only to discover the symptoms listed above. This was not the first time my Bose speakers went bad and I cannot recall the on board sound distortions occurring in the past when I've used it. Over 15 years of PC gaming intuition tells me that this audio just doesn't sound right.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

Here is the specs on the motherboard I have: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-G45-GAMING.html#hero-specification

I've tried updating drivers, uninstalling the Realtek software, just not sure if I'm doing everything correctly. I'll include screenshots of my device manager and sound setup.

Device Manager: http://m.imgur.com/a/9Akbx

Thanks for help anyone can give. Not sure if I need a dedicated sound card or if my headphones hooked up to speakers would help out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:58 AM

SO go buy a real sound card then lol, should fix the problem.

I know my self i don't use onbord sound anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users