Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading or buying a new PC?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ransaked1

ransaked1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:34 PM

Hi guys!

I'm new to this comunity and topic.

I got this specs on my 5 year 32bit PC:

CPU:    DualCore AMD Athlon II X2 220, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)

Motherboard:   Biostar N68S3B

RAM:    2GB SDRAM

GPU:    nVIDIA GeForce 210 (p873)

So I need it for CS:GO, WorldofTanks and some Video editing. Know it runs CS:GO at 30fps even with full optimization and can't run Windows 10 normally. My budget is 500-600$ and my question is if it's worth upgrading it and with what? Or better by a new PC with this money?

PS: I'm ok waiting a few month if it means a better upgrade or cheaper parts.

Thanks a lot for any answers!

Merry Christmas :)

Edited by ransaked1, 25 December 2016 - 12:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:17 PM

Other parts? Like case, power supply, hard disk and DVD drive.

Upgrade is not impossible idea. Used Phenom II X4, 8GB RAM and better video card would make it much faster. But if case, PSU etc are subpar, then perhaps hard disk and DVD drive can be spared and other parts new.

#3 ransaked1

ransaked1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:49 PM

Thank you!

Driver:   SAMSUNG HD502HJ SCSI Disk Device, thats 500GB, SATA 2.

A MAGNUM case but i cant find the model.

Still is the upgrade worth it? Switching to SSD?

#4 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:22 PM

It's important to note that the 6x ver. of the mobo will accept these additional processors where as the 1st release officially support only up to the X4 955

Phenom II X4 960T
Phenom II X4 965
Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Phenom II X4 970
Phenom II X4 975
Phenom II X4 980
Phenom II X4 B93
Phenom II X4 B95
Phenom II X4 B97
Phenom II X4 B99
Phenom II X6 1035T
Phenom II X6 1045T
Phenom II X6 1055T
Phenom II X6 1055T v2
Phenom II X6 1065T
Phenom II X6 1075T
Phenom II X6 1090T
Phenom II X6 1100T

If you can find a good deal on an older X4, I agree with the above go with that and some additional ram. I happen to have 4 (I think) X4 processors sitting on a box (fyi) and I believe they are 960t Zosma, X4 955, 965. 975. All used but all working and pulled from systems, although one of them I used myself back in the day.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:50 PM

Video card relly weak too and was never made to be a gamer card, you could do way better used for like $50.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:39 PM

I'd say you may as well build a new system, and maybe reuse the case and/or powersupply. Or, you could wait for AMD Zen and see lower cpu prices

Possible build: 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($52.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4GB NITRO+ 4G Video Card  ($221.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $564.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-25 21:38 EST-0500

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:28 PM

not shore i like that setup chicken.

My self id go AMD for the cpu, their 6 core chips cost about as much as a I3 and are more worth it imho for the price, as for the mobo my self i don't like mini ATX boards, i only like full size or server size if i can get em and 1x anything memory wise means no duel channel setup but you could get one more 8 gig down the road so that works, and my self i dont buy $300 video cards, i don't see the point, id probably get something used for like $100 and it be fine.

Ps winspy10 the last thing id recommend windows wise to anyone too ;)

Just use win7 like most are doing.

#8 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:33 AM

Lets find out from the thread originator if they want a new PC, and have that budget first. Let us also disregard AMD vs. Intel and concentrate on the best build for a budget, or upgrade for the budget. I have already let it be known that I have those used AMD X4 upgrade AMD processors available yet the OP has not responded.

#9 ransaked1

ransaked1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:36 AM

Here I am,

First thank you guys for the ideas!

The Captain_Chicken's setup looks really good and it's ok for my budget, but can I use in this setup my 500GB HDD? (SATA 2)

Windows it's not a problem I have a win7 license that I can use.

Still, my case is old and damaged on the sides so upgrading it with the monwy i could spend on windows looks good.

Zone_86 my budget is 500-600$ range. I looked in the AMD processor list you sent and it would help me more decide upgrading this setup if I could find a decent GPU. Mine is a REALLY BAD ONE!

For the moment I see building a new PC a more realistic idea caouse on the long run it has a more upgrading potential.

Looking forward to your answers.

Have a nice day!

#10 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:54 AM

Well if you're looking to stick with your system as-is and just upgrade the CPU i can help with that. If you have $600.00 to work with then you have what you need to get a better system for sure but more than likely with that budget you will have to go AMD and there is nothing wrong with that I have built tons of AMD systems and still do. I recommend that the forum regulars here put together a nice system for your $600.00 budget trust me it can be done easily -- however be aware of you go with AMD current tech you will be using DDR3 which can't be transferred over to the newer Intel sockets, or the upcoming DDR4 compliant Zen platforms. So if you do pick an AMD system something -- like an FX 6300 with an Asus M5A97 Pro, is doable with an RX 460-470-GTX 1050-1050ti. That would give you a lot more performance than you have been getting and get you solidly on the 1080p playing field. I don't much like to put together systems in forums because you never really know if the OP's are legit, and as i'm a very legit builder I just don't do that in forums so I let others do that but I gave you a very general idea of what you can get with that budget of $600.00. BTW you can also get a small SSD drive with that budget as well as long as your GPU/PSU selection is reasonable.

#11 ransaked1

ransaked1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:14 AM

Thanks!

But what I get if I wait for the Zen platform? I'm not in a rush so is it going to be more price-performance eficient if I whant a hole new setup?

I'm really woried about my motherboard upgradebility in my current setup. Isn't it going to bottleneck any upgrades I do next 3years? That's why I stick more to the idea of building a new setup.

#12 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:11 AM

Windows licenses, unless you get the retail version, are non-transferable. You cannot move your windows license from your current computer to your new one. However, if you own another copy of windows 7, you should be aware that Windows 7 will Not support next gen cpus (kaby lake and zen).

In terms of upgrading your current system, with your budget I agree that it would just be better to buy new.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#13 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:26 AM

you should be aware that Windows 7 will Not support next gen cpus (kaby lake and zen)

Im sorry but thats 100% BS, were did you read that cus i bet you i can make any cpu out their work with anything or close to it, iv herd this story 10x times befor from microsoft over the years and its just lies.

Microsoft is just trying to push winspy10 in peoples faces.

http://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-to-optimize-windows-10-for-kaby-lake-and-zen

Egregious lying continues: Microsoft falsely states that newer Intel and AMD CPUs will only be supported by Windows 10. If that were actually true you wouldn't be able to run MS-DOS on Intel Skylake yet you perfectly can (edit: later Microsoft reneged on not supporting Skylake CPUs). Perhaps they are talking about new advanced features of the said CPUs, but their wording means the opposite: like you cannot physically run any older Windows releases on these new CPUs.

https://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

#14 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

https://fossbytes.com/intel-kaby-lake-and-amd-zen-processors-wont-support-windows-7-8/

http://www.eteknix.com/kaby-lake-and-zen-wont-support-windows-7-and-8-1/

“We are committed to working with Microsoft and our ecosystem partners to help ensure a smooth transition given these changes to Microsoft’s support policy,” an Intel spokesperson told Computer World, adding, “No, Intel will not be updating Win 7/8 drivers for 7th Gen Intel Core per Microsoft’s support policy change.”

Microsoft is just trying to push winspy10 in peoples faces.

I can agree, being a former windows 10 user and now a linux user. I don't like Windows 10 and the tactics they are using to get people to use it. However,  with no drivers for Windows 7 for Kaby Lake and Zen chipsets, it will be very difficult to try to install older versions of windows on new hardware.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

not shore i like that setup chicken.

My self id go AMD for the cpu, their 6 core chips cost about as much as a I3 and are more worth it imho for the price, as for the mobo my self i don't like mini ATX boards, i only like full size or server size if i can get em and 1x anything memory wise means no duel channel setup but you could get one more 8 gig down the road so that works, and my self i dont buy $300 video cards, i don't see the point, id probably get something used for like $100 and it be fine.

Ps winspy10 the last thing id recommend windows wise to anyone too ;)

Just use win7 like most are doing.

i3 has better single core performance which is better for gaming. Full size MOBO costs more and the smaller ones work just as well. GPU is worth buying new if your budget allows it due to the fact that it is more reliable and comes with warranty. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users