Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not create a short cut on my desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lostsoul65

lostsoul65

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:53 AM

All my shortcuts on my desktop for the Internet no longer work and when I try and create a shortcut for the desktop I get a message saying "unable to open his internet site. The protocol "https" does not have a registered program" I had Google Chrome on my computer for about a month and I Do Not like it so I removed it, but I don't know if that had anything to do with this? I'm using Windows 7 and IE 11

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

Probably not, although Google Chrome is very difficult to remove from the computer, and many do not know how to do it.
Most likely it is a corrupted Registry, more accurately, the File Association, may be also something is corrupted. If you can restore your original registry, and then if the problem is resolved, everything is OK. 
If not, may run cmd.exe as administrator and then  sfc /scannow too see if there is corrupted files and repair them. If even this will not help, is only one what helps - new clean installation. 

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:43 PM

Try first answer here

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/unable-to-open-the-internet-shortcut-the-protocol/3def1eb3-aa9a-4bfa-850f-da7d23572289?page=1

#4 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:42 PM

Thank you, The link work

#5 opera

opera

• Members