Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd problem...contagious slowdown in old and new pc's

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 maladapted

maladapted

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:09 AM

I had a Dell I3 PC that was about a year and half old. A couple of weeks ago it started getting balky...would boot up and work for a few minutes before pausing for a long time. Restore and reset would fail, as did an effort to make a recovery drive.  I eventually got a recovery drive written to a 32 GB thumb drive but I got a message that the PC could't be recovered because the system disk was too small.

I gave up and bought a new PC, an I7 HP. It worked well for a few days until I connected the old PC's hard drive to it to perform some utilities on it and possibly clone it  (a disk utility indicated the drive was about to fail)

When I rebooted the HP with the old Dell drive attached but not as a boot drive, it somehow changed the Windows background image to the old photo I had used on the dell, and File Explorer was very slow, to the point of not working. The new PC acted a lot like the old one.. it won't do a systen restore etc.

So I assume there is some virus but I checked repeatedly, used RKill, ran sfc, but nothing shows up.

Any help would be appreciated.... I am not as desperate as I am curious to know what could be cuasing this.

Mod Edit

Moved from Windows 10

NickAu

Edited by NickAu, 25 December 2016 - 01:13 AM.
Mod Edit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:41 AM

Looks like we have to do this the hard way then and agreed i would lean to some kind of virus action if i started seeing that and some kinds of evil code can't be detected, you have to go in to pro mode to spot the problem, this is going to be hell if were talking win10.

Mind stuffing Avira on their just for me and do a full sweep, detection rates for that AV last i looked at banchmarks are top notch.

https://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-free-antivirus

A screen shot of everything runing too could be usefull just for fun.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Down load and screen shot this too plz.

http://www.glarysoft.com/security-process-explorer/download/

Ps: remember to put the AV on max hostility mode before the scan.

Edited by shadow_647, 25 December 2016 - 12:44 AM.

#3 maladapted

maladapted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:12 AM

​I downloaded those three... apparently I don't know how to insert the screenshots here.... the image button above doesn't allow for browsing on this PC

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:17 AM

O_o then upload to here plz, then use image link thingy

http://postimage.org/

And when you do the Avira sweep put the heuristic detection on max all files.

Edited by shadow_647, 25 December 2016 - 01:19 AM.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:19 AM

The forums here on BC require images to be hosted before you can insert the image. In order to insert the image within a post, you must first save the image onto your computer and then 'host' the image on a separate image-hosting site. 

Not all forums on BC accept attachments because of bandwidth limitations and security reasons.

All forums on BC DO allow you to insert an image (or images) after you have hosted the image.

Hosting an image:

1. Save the image you want to use onto your hard drive using one of the following methods:

Place your screenshot in Paint or other photo-editing software and save to your hard drive.

Right click on an image online and Save as
Rename the image

Click on Save. The image will now be saved on your hard drive

2. To host the image and get a link to your image, you will need to use one of many image hosting sites. Some recommended sites which are also free are Imgur, Post Image, Photobucket, and TinyPic. Some sites may also require registration. Next, please do the following:

Open the image hosting site of your choice in a browser (or click on one of the links listed above)

If an account is required, Sign up or Log in

Once you are ready to upload an image, find the Upload section and click on the Browse button

Find the image you saved on your computer and click Upload or Submit

The image will transfer to the host site, and it will display several options that include different links

Click on the Direct Link and Copy the link to your clipboard

Use the Direct link to Paste the link into your post (see Insert an Image next)

Insert an image into a post on BleepingComputer:

1. When you want to insert an image in a post on BC, use the Image button in the tools Editor:
image_button.png
2.  Click on the Image button as shown above
3.  A separate window will open that says Image Properties, and you will see a blank URL box
4.  Paste the Direct link that you copied from the image hosting site into the URL box
5.  Click OK
6.  You should now see the image in your post. Click on Save Changes once you are satisfied with the content of your post

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 maladapted

maladapted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:48 AM

...says I'm not allowed to use that extension here...

Okay, this doesn't seem to be working at all.

Edited by maladapted, 25 December 2016 - 01:51 AM.

#7 maladapted

maladapted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:50 AM

[/url]">http://Screenshot_10.png

[/url]">http://Screenshot_10.png

Edited by maladapted, 25 December 2016 - 01:51 AM.

#8 maladapted

maladapted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:07 AM

I think I just may be  little too dense to ask for help here...please disregard my request and have a Merry Christmas.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:12 AM

Not at all, you are actually doing very well, No one will judge your for being a novice, Remember we were all novices once. Stick around we will gladly help you.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:14 AM

Hemm can't relly make out whats going on, and not everything listed, well at lest you only have 93 processes runing, saw one guy today that was claiming his pc was runing slow, turns out he had like 200 processes runing lol and he wonders why it was a lag fest.

you could try your luck in this part of the forum, just keep in mind it will take 2 weeks or more befor everything siad and done if you do.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Not at all, you are actually doing very well, No one will judge your for being a novice, Remember we were all novices once. Stick around we will gladly help you.

Agreed

Edited by shadow_647, 25 December 2016 - 02:14 AM.

#11 maladapted

maladapted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:18 AM

Thanks... I will give the Virus forum a shot.... it's hard to imagine it could be anything else other than that..

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:20 AM

If you like please read this

Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

and follow the instructions, One of our Malware experts will be glad to look over your logs, The logs are not hard to post  you will be fine dont worry.

Edited by NickAu, 25 December 2016 - 02:28 AM.

Arch Linux .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users