Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing from ISO

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dpguitar

Dpguitar

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:43 PM

Hello,

I have had to replace my HDD and so am trying to fresh install Windows 10. I didn't have a USB drive large enough for the ISO but I still had my old Vista install disk and so I figured to install that and go from there.

Turns out Vista will not load drivers for any of my networking hardware (tried to install drivers that I downloaded with my phone but no luck) so I downloaded the win 10 ISO from my phone moved it to my hdd and then created a separate partition on my HDD that I figured I could extract and boot the iso from it install to the main partition. I have tried Rufus as well as all the utilities on Hirens boot cd and can't get the partition to mount or find any way to write the iso to that partition.

Can anyone help me with getting this done either from this hdd or with an SD card? I had previously managed to write the iso to the SD card but it seems my BIOS will not read or boot from the SD slot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:56 PM

Clean Install Windows Directly from the Hard Disk Drive

Posted Image

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:01 PM

Have both your PC's got a DVD drive? and do you have a blank DVD?

#4 Dpguitar

Dpguitar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:21 PM

I am using one pc only and a smartphone, I do have a DVD drive but no blank DVD :(

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:42 PM

Odd, i would have thought that the win10 installer ISO was a bootable program and once it boots it can do all at that point.

Win98 in dos you would just type setup.exe at the command line and it would go, though you had to setup your hdd before that.

#6 Dpguitar

Dpguitar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:45 AM

The problem is the iso has to be on my hdd since I don't have a removable medium to out it on. I did manage to get the installer to boot from a separate partition but it failed because the hdd was not in gpt and I couldn't disable EFI in bios. The only thing I can think of now is installing Linux on the GPT formatted hdd and re-extraxting the ISO to a second partition again.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:34 AM

couldn't disable EFI in bios

That evil bro, my self i consider UEIF to be little more then hardware DRM, and the day i have a computer with that it will be permanently off, what did you say your motherboard was so i can never buy one ?

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:46 AM

The problem is the iso has to be on my hdd since I don't have a removable medium to out it on. I did manage to get the installer to boot from a separate partition but it failed because the hdd was not in gpt and I couldn't disable EFI in bios. The only thing I can think of now is installing Linux on the GPT formatted hdd and re-extraxting the ISO to a second partition again.

I know that this might sound weird but here in the United States you can buy a 8 gb USB stick at any convience store or grocery store for about $1.50. I don't know where you live but if you could scrape together a few nickles and dimes, maybe somebody can pick you up a new one.

Also here in the USA, all kids have hundreds of USB sticks. Maybe you could borrow one from a neighborhood kid. I have Grand Kids as young as 3 years old that have dozens of USB sticks, and my teen age Grand Kids have hundreds each.

There are always options.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:40 AM

To the OP, I just looked in my drawer and I counter 78 USB sticks, some as large as 128 gb but most of them just 64 gb and 32 gb. Certainly you have a neighbor that you can borrow a USB stick from for a few hours.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:46 AM

Cheapest i can get a 8gig at is $6 + tax my self , canada here.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:54 AM

Cheapest i can get a 8gig at is $6 + tax my self , canada here.

Down here in the States, you can an 8 gb USB stick for $1.49 plus tax at the local 7-11.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 Dpguitar

Dpguitar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

I have a bunch of USB sticks myself but most are in storage and I haven't been able to get to them the past couple days. I could have got a new one but I know I have at least one 32,64,and 128 somewhere. For some reason all that made it home for me are a bunch of SD cards and like a 2 gb usb. I was just trying to get this set up and going (assumed it would be easier tbh) while I was doing other holiday stuff. I'm out in the country though so I will get some storage media in the next couple days, just didn't want to wait.

As far as the mobo maker, I will have to double check. It's in an hp though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users