Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Product key deactivated since last update

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 almac1

almac1

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

Hi. Since the last windows update my product key has been deactivated on my Toshiba laptop C660/660D. It now takes about an hour to start up and freezes regularly.

I have tried allsorts of suggestions from the internet but to no avail.

I upgraded from windows 7 about a year ago and everything has been fine until now.

It has stopped edge working so i can't get into cmd from there.to do sfc/scannow and it won't let me change the boot order so i could boot from cd.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to wish everyone best wishes for the festive season.

many thanks

almac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:11 AM

Are you able to right -click on start and select command prompt (as admin) and do a sfc /scannow?

#3 almac1

almac1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:31 AM

Yes thanks. Scan is running now.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:31 AM

First of all, how do you know that your Windows 10 is not activated? Secondly, since Windows 10 is tied to your Microsoft account all you have to do is call Microsoft and they will fix it real quickly if indeed your computer is not activated.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:48 AM

As pointed out...activation issues are the province of Microsoft.  No one here can do what you must do yourself...contact Microsoft, if you have a valid install/license.

If you do not have a valid install/license...the BC Forum Rules prevent anyone here from assisting you with an illegal install.

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Louis

#6 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:21 AM

If You upgraded and Your Windows was activated, you must connect it to Your Microsoft account.
If You do not have made any fresh and clean install, You must do it.
Any Windows 7 what was activated at the moment of upgrading (no matter how it was activated before upgrading) will be activated always itself after any new install on the same machine.
Very important was to reinstall (make clean install) when You upgraded to 1607 (from 1511 to 1607).
If your Win10 was associated with your Microsoft account, do not insert any activation or license key during the installation. Always select "Don't have...", Skip, Later etc.
Only if is place to insert if this is your computer or your company is owner, be careful and select "I own it..." If is time to log in, log in with Your Microsoft account and everything is done.
If already everything works and is installed also latest updates, You can make local account (not recommended, but You can) if You want. Also is recommended to activate built in Administrator account, if You are the only user and uses this computer in safe place.
You can it deactivate at any time and if needed also activate again at any time, even if You cannot log in using usual account or have forgot login password.

There is nothing more simple than Windows 10.

Edited by kaljukass, 25 December 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#7 mPowerTech

mPowerTech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:57 PM

First you can take support from Microsoft windows support team. Otherwise you have to use latest version MSToolskit.

#8 almac1

almac1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:50 AM

First of all, how do you know that your Windows 10 is not activated? Secondly, since Windows 10 is tied to your Microsoft account all you have to do is call Microsoft and they will fix it real quickly if indeed your computer is not activated.

Sorry for being blunt but at the bottom of my screen on the right hand side in large letters it says ACTIVATE WINDOWS but it won't when i go there. I can't access microsoft off the computer in question because it won't let me. I've tried everything i know to no avail. My sfc scan froze for 16 hours so thats a no go. Any other suggestions are very welcome.

#9 almac1

almac1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:57 AM

If You upgraded and Your Windows was activated, you must connect it to Your Microsoft account.
If You do not have made any fresh and clean install, You must do it.
Any Windows 7 what was activated at the moment of upgrading (no matter how it was activated before upgrading) will be activated always itself after any new install on the same machine.
Very important was to reinstall (make clean install) when You upgraded to 1607 (from 1511 to 1607).
If your Win10 was associated with your Microsoft account, do not insert any activation or license key during the installation. Always select "Don't have...", Skip, Later etc.
Only if is place to insert if this is your computer or your company is owner, be careful and select "I own it..." If is time to log in, log in with Your Microsoft account and everything is done.
If already everything works and is installed also latest updates, You can make local account (not recommended, but You can) if You want. Also is recommended to activate built in Administrator account, if You are the only user and uses this computer in safe place.
You can it deactivate at any time and if needed also activate again at any time, even if You cannot log in using usual account or have forgot login password.

There is nothing more simple than Windows 10.

My problem is, it won't let me access anything to do with microsoft. I can't even get edge running. I have to use another browser but it takes approx 2 hours to get that far.

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:13 AM

Did you manage to get system file check to finish?

Did it say anything?

Are you able to open control panel via right-clicking on start?

If yes, go into Internet Options..advance tab.. and select to reset the settings.

Reboot afterwards.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:24 AM

Have you called Microsoft like I suggested?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 TarjaTaneli

TarjaTaneli

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:29 AM

If your computer seems to have so many problems by now, best thing would be to format and reinstall the operative system again. Your key of windows should be tied to the hardware of your computer. Else you could also call Microsoft as suggested before.
Personally this happened more than once to me using windows 10. Computer was fine and one day the key got deactivated. Funny thing is without me actually calling them the key was activated again by itself days later.

Edited by TarjaTaneli, 26 December 2016 - 08:37 AM.

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:15 PM

When you try to access Microsoft, what exactly is the message?

What is the exact message of why you cannot use EDGE?

Even if the computer has been running fine but Windows Updates have had issues, you will see the symptoms you are seeing. It appears to me you signed up for an Insider build before July 29, 2016. Run winver and post a screenshot of the results. 

Anyway I agree with contacting Microsoft

Checkout step 2 of 4 http://www.intowindows.com/fix-windows-10-deactivated-after-installing-updates/

I would rely on a phone call so you can talk with a live person.

--- Chat would be OK as long as you can get direct answers

That same website 2nd opening paragraph states

It looks like many users who recently got the big November Update or Threshold 2 (TH2) update have been going through the activation issue again. Several users are reporting that their Windows 10 install was deactivated after installing the update

Edited by cmptrgy, 27 December 2016 - 02:21 PM.

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:20 PM

When you try to access Microsoft, what exactly is the message?

What is the exact message of why you cannot use EDGE?

Even if the computer has been running fine but Windows Updates have had issues, you will see the symptoms you are seeing. It appears to me you signed up for an Insider build before July 29, 2016. Run winver and post a screenshot of the results. 

Anyway I agree with contacting Microsoft

Checkout step 2 of 4 http://www.intowindows.com/fix-windows-10-deactivated-after-installing-updates/

I would rely on a phone call so you can talk with a live person.

--- Chat would be OK as long as you can get direct answers

That same website 2nd opening paragraph states

It looks like many users who recently got the big November Update or Threshold 2 (TH2) update have been going through the activation issue again. Several users are reporting that their Windows 10 install was deactivated after installing the update

That information is well over a year old and Windows 10 has changed drastically since then.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:33 AM

Rocky you are correct: actually my intent was supposed to be on how to contact Microsoft because almac1 might not know how to do that. Step 2 of 4 is an easy read. Then I got carried away with the rest: my bad.

almac1 I agree that you should contact Microsoft. Go to http://support.microsoft.com/ContactUs

I also have contact phone numbers and can look them up if you want.

Edited by cmptrgy, 28 December 2016 - 12:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users