Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD with a new pc build.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:40 PM

Hello,

First time poster here, thank you for making this forum and taking time to help people with troubleshooting. I've been experiencing Bluescreens, freezes, and restarts with a mostly new build. This happens most often under load.

As a note, I've disabled the HD audio driver in favor of AMD audio. This was flagged in my report, but was intentional.  

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

Your full system setup please on a hardware and software level.

heal levels ok when doing burn in testing ?

voltages ok when stress testing ?

#3 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

Thank you for the reply,

Heat levels appear well within tolerance. I ran Furmark without any crashing, but I didn't monitor for voltage droop. Memtest86 showed no problems.

I'm currently running the newest version of AMD's Crimson drivers for the GPU. The specs are in the thumbnail attachment.

Attached Files

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:57 PM

k try a prime95 run and watch your temps as you do it, idle temps mean little to me.

http://www.mersenne.org/download/

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

#5 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:16 PM

Prime 95 should be run overnight for best results, right? I don't think it'll stay running that long. :(

Hardware monitor tells me the cpu is 45.8 degrees c. after running it a short while. Task manager says cpu usage is 93%.

Attached Files

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:31 PM

K your good on the heat topic and ya the hardcore guys when they make a new system or their testing a overclock might run burn-in testing software for like 48 hours, my self just to test cpu heat levels 15 min is all you need, i all so tend not to do 48 burn-ins just a hour or so my self and im good, real world test is just using the computer and if it starts to bomb all over the place you dont need a burn in test to let you know the system unstable.

Good call on the memory test,sadly last i looked in to it software memory testers don't all ways pick up on things like dedicated hardware memory tester will.

funny about the cpu use, it should be 100% on all cores.

Btw whats the deal with the ATI R9 200 video card, its like big cpu computer + bottom of the barrel video card, not a gamer im guessing.

Why are their so many people with win10 that are having problems, i just don't understand.

As well what kind of software are you use that making the system crash ?

Merry xmas btw.

Edited by shadow_647, 24 December 2016 - 11:32 PM.

#7 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:54 PM

The gpu is actually a R9 380, which is an upgraded 200 series card. While it's certainly not high end, it'll run all current games on ultra settings at 1080 and 1440 at good frame rates. It runs Doom silky smooth at very high settings, until it randomly bluescreens. It sometimes crashes when no applications are running as well.

Yeah, Windows 10 is a nightmare, and may or may not be related to my problems. I'm leaning to hardware failure, but I was hoping for insight before I do any RMA's.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:16 AM

Winspy10 yes agreed, ill never use it, theirs so many things wrong with that Os its not funny, only thing it has going for it is directx 12 and last i checked 50~60% of the world is win7 in any case and theirs all most as many winxp users are win10, sadly all it takes is one beta update to win10 and your hole system is unstable.

All it takes really.

Since you made your system and setup the Os for the first time was it always unstable or is this just something that just started to happen for reason.

hemm could do a feu passes of this and see what happens.

https://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

Before i would RMA anything id probably test the system in Linux and or go back to win7 64bit ultimate and see what happens and im still in winxp for the record, even win7 gets on my bad side.

#9 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:27 AM

This build has only run Windows 10. I'll see about putting Linux on a USB to test stability, I might even try Windows 7.

Thanks for all the help Shadow. I'll post more updates tomorrow.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

Here this is my fav version of linux, only cus the GUI is very close to what winXP is win7 is, its live boot.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

#11 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:00 AM

Edit: What I wrote below might be incorrect, it appears that the GA-970A-UD3P board is a rare exception of a 970 chipset with 8+2 phase. Most 970 mobo's are 4+2, and would apply for most other boards.

I did some reading last night, and I'm getting the indication that there might be hardware incompatibility. When I selected the parts I made damn sure that the CPU was on the approved list for the motherboard, and it was. Let this be a warning to new builders out there. Yes, the CPU is approved for use in my board, but in reality it was an accident waiting to happen.

This grinds my gears and this crap should be against the law. The processor draws 125 watts, and the board can only safely handle a 95 watt chip. The result of continued use of this PC could lead to VRM failure, or even a fire! I didn't catch this with any of the monitoring programs because the CPU is nice and cool while the VRM's are going unnoticed.

Even if this wasn't directly causing my blue screens, the motherboard will have to be replaced. This isn't my first rodeo with builds, and I would have caught this if I had time to research the components beforehand. I was simply in a hurry and trusted the manufacturer when they claimed compatibility with their product.

Edited by Blackcat1234567, 26 December 2016 - 12:25 AM.

#12 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

I reseated the motherboard to make sure no standoffs were causing a short, and swapped out the cables with fresh ones. After that I ran Passmarks burn in test which came out just fine. Encouraged, I tested out Rome Total War. That led to a reboot within the first minute of play.

I'll try Linux next?

#13 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:20 PM

Interesting

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?217752-4-1-vs-8-2(8-1)-Phase-Power-Design/page2&s=80f3d2bef62af7930499671dec263031

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4717

http://www.overclock.net/a/about-vrms-mosfets-motherboard-safety-with-high-tdp-processors#

And ya your cpu douse seems to be supported by the GA-970A-UD3P or so they claim and they have a lot of 125TDP cpus listed as supported as well, i find that odd that they made a mobo and clam its supports 125TDP cpu's but can't and will fry if you do.

were you read that its only good for 95TDP chips ?

Rome Total War, old game for winxp directx 9b hehe, i remember it well and its a single threaded game, funny that crashed your computer, its not like the game was  taxing the system hard or anything, i still like the first medieval total war, after that the total war games i find became to rpg like.

How many times did you try to run the game and how many other games did you try, we talking all old games for directx 9 ?

could you list the software you use that crashes the system.

Ps whats the vdroop on your system when it comes to the cpu?

As well i was thinking have you installed any updates to win10 or are we talking a clean install with out updates, one patch from M$ that's unstable and its over.

And ya you could try linux just for the hell of it, sadly i don't think it comes with any burn in software and you can't install anything unless the Os is installed i would think so i dont know how useful running it in live boot mode would be.

forgot to ask too you on a water cooling setup and if so how are your case fans ?

Edited by shadow_647, 25 December 2016 - 05:29 PM.

#14 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:17 PM

I risked the chance of updating my bios, which has been successful. Still crashing. :( Logs are attached.

I have three games installed, Rome 2, Doom (the recent one), and Star Trek Online. All thee applications generate freezes and restarts, with Rome being the worst offender. Curiously, none of the stress test have crashed my pc, but a simple YouTube video has. 

I now have the understanding that this board uses an 8 phase design, or a 4 phase with a doubler, which should be safe to run in theory.

I'm still not sure about vdroop. I've never been a fan of messing around with my voltage settings as I'm not an over clocker. Newb question in this regard, how would I go about setting a program to overlay my voltage information on screen while playing a video game? I'd expect that'd be a likely time for voltage to dip if that's a problem.

Attached Files

Edited by Blackcat1234567, 25 December 2016 - 11:31 PM.

#15 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:32 PM

dude ! you didn't anser any of the questions, but good idea on flashing bios.

Ps do you have a backup older HDD arond ? i know i can get 160gig drives for like $10 a pop, less if i buy a 6 pack of em at once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users