Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Wireless Mouse Scrolls Way Too Fast

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

To start im using Ubuntu 16.04

Is there any way to tone down its scroll speed? One tiny little click from the mouse is equivalent to rolling the wheel back half way.  I can confirm this is with the microsoft mouse. I plugged in a very loud clicky hp mouse and it works fine.

Microsoft products seem to have a lot of issues. In a game if I used a microsoft mouse it forced the game into thinking I had an xbox controller and forced it to press left in menus or when you'd load the game your character would spin in a circle indefinitely :P. Its like they built their products to be jerks with linux.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:31 PM

Have you tried imwheel?

How To Change The Mouse Scroll Wheel Speed In Linux Using imwheel [Quick Tip]

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

Ill have to check it out tomorrow hopefully. I have however installed a mouse gestures suite addon for firefox that adds that familiar scrolling feature with the middle mouse click. I always found it odd how this wasn't an implemented thing in the linux version of firefox seeing how it is out of the box in windows.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/mouse-gestures-suite/?src=search

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:32 AM

I've successfully used a very simple fix, and it would hold between reboots, while Ubuntu is running, remove & then plug the receiver back in. :)

While I don't use Microsoft mice as much as in the past, the trick always worked for me, forget where I read the tip, though in the comments of the provided link by Nick in #2, the Admin of the site stated the same. It's free, takes no longer than 20 seconds (unless your receiver is in a position hard to access) & it works. :thumbsup:

Please give it a shot & let us know if it helps, this once drove me up the wall also, back when all I could afford were those cheap (Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 1000) & the 4000 series also if on promo. Even have one where the receiver is about the size & shape of a USB stick, worked on that one also. These are good mice, though I prefer Logitech now because I get to keep the new receiver stored & use one of the older ones with the Unifying software. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users