Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I download my systems Device Drivers onto a USB stick correctly?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sportsfan1

sportsfan1

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:47 PM

Hi, all. I want to download the latest Device Drivers for my system onto a USB flash drive.
1. Should I download the drivers to my hard drive (c: drive) and then copy and paste them over to the USB flash drive. Or is it OK to download them directly onto the USB flash drive?

2. When I install the drivers is it OK to select the drivers on the USB drive and install them directly from the USB stick? I don't know if you have to copy them over to a folder on the Computers hard disc (C: drive ) first and then install them from there?

Ive never done this before and Im unfamiliar with USB flash drives. If I select the device drivers on the USB stick will it correctly install to the C: drive (hard drive) or will it attempt to install to the USB flash drive?

Im sorry if this seems like a dumb question

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:58 PM

1. Either way will work. It is easier to download directly to the USB to avoid copying from the HDD to the USB.

2. Either way will work but the install will run faster off the hard drive. If you ran the install from the USB it would still install the driver to the hard drive and not to the USB flash drive.

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:29 PM

Download where ever you want, and install  anytime from there, where they are stored. The only important thing is that they are there to be there.

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:22 PM

Yes you can do either way, Just make sure you get the drivers from a TRUSTED source. eg, http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=drivers 

Weather you run it off a flashdrive or a hard drive, it will install somewhere in "C:" on the hard drive

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#5 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:45 PM

Thanks guys for your advice. My laptop is a Dell so I will be downloading the device drivers from the Dell support site.

One of the reasons I asked the question is that I read a posting on the internet where someone said its always safer to copy the drivers from the USB flash drive to the hard drive first and install them from there. They said that the drivers have to be unzipped and a Dell folder is created on the C: drive for these files. He said this can cause problems and possibly corrupt Windows system files. I didn't know if that was correct or just scaremongering

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:37 AM

You might post that link so folks can comment on it.  If this is all on the same pc, I would create a Folder for each Driver in Downloads and download it there, as there is no real need to Copy to USB at this time.  Set your Browser to "Ask where to download" or in IE Choose Save As and then choose the Folder.  Then if you like you can "Copy" it to the USB for safe keeping, but install them from the Folder in Downloads.  Now you have them in both places if needed, and they'll install faster from Downloads than the USB as was mentioned.  Creating a Folder is the Key IMO because then you can Extract/Unpack some Drivers to choose which component you want to install.  Some drivers come with multiple components, and this way they will all be in that folder upon Extract.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 Justinjames1231

Justinjames1231

• Banned Spammer
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:06 AM

Download any place you need, and introduce at whatever time from that point, where they are put away. The main critical thing is that they are there to be there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users