Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How I got clean install of Vista Ultimate SP2 to install updates...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vista134

vista134

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:41 AM

Tried this and got it to work twice...after many failed attempts using other methods. Hopefully helps somebody else out.

1. Upgraded computer, had to install OS on blank drive
2. Installed vista sp2, during setup said to not enable automatic updates
3. Went into Vista Updates and let it update twice (first time I think had some updates pre-installed from the sp, second time was for the update client update)...this is typically the point where windows update would just get stuck
4. Restarted computer
5. Used program WSUS offline updater, http://download.wsusoffline.net/
6. In WSUS Offline Update program, went under legacy products, checked my version of windows vista, picked all the check boxes under "options" then clicked "start"
7. After it did its thing, went into client folder and clicked UpdateInstaller and ran it with the options I wanted installed
8. Restarted whenever it asked, and it installed all the updates! There was one step that said it would take a while, and it took a little while (didnt watch but was under 1 hour)

The first time I tried WSUS offline update it didnt work, so I am not sure if step 3 is necessary or not, but it was the only difference between the times I tried it when it worked and didnt work, may have just been coincidence. Dont think WSUS offline update does anything with drivers, but around 180 updates installed.

Thanks to the creators of WSUS Offline Update

edit: Just ran windows update while typing this thread and now it works too....shows 40 important updates. between WSUS offline update installing a bunch of updates, now vista update works and finish up updates

Edited by vista134, 24 December 2016 - 11:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

Hi vista134:

Thank you for that feedback.  Other users have posted questions about how to use the WSUS Offline Updater to update Vista SP2 (see GaryC's post in the AskWoody.com thread How to update Vista quickly? for one example) so your comments will be very helpful.  It sounds like many users are getting stuck at your step # 7 and aren't sure how to run UpdateInstaller.exe to start the actual installation.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.1.0 * NIS v22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

#3 vista134

vista134
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:17 PM

Hi vista134:

Thank you for that feedback.  Other users have posted questions about how to use the WSUS Offline Updater to update Vista SP2 (see GaryC's post in the AskWoody.com thread How to update Vista quickly? for one example) so your comments will be very helpful.  It sounds like many users are getting stuck at your step # 7 and aren't sure how to run UpdateInstaller.exe to start the actual installation.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.1.0 * NIS v22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Thanks, I just went to that link and posted a reply to somebody. Basically just click into the "Client" folder and then click UpdateInstaller.exe like you mentioned after using UpdateGenerator.exe in the main folder to download the updates. Can check the components you want then click "start" button.

Confusion probably comes from the fact that the main program UpdateGenerator.exe may look to some as though it is installing updates, but it is just downloading to generate an offline installer that is portable in the client folder. We are just having to use an offline generator even for connected computers due to this update bug with the built in software.

Edited by vista134, 24 December 2016 - 03:19 PM.

#4 rinfrance

rinfrance

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:52 AM

I have got at the end "medium does not support your windows or your office system!

Does that mean it has not worked?

#5 vista134

vista134
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

I have got at the end "medium does not support your windows or your office system!

Does that mean it has not worked?

Will need a bit more detail. Which step did you get stuck on? Did you first run the update program in the main folder and check off your correct version of windows and generate the updates (it will download many updates here), and then after that step go into the client folder and run UpdateInstaller.exe? Which version of windows are you running (need to make sure you picked correct 32 vs 64 bit)

Edited by vista134, 28 December 2016 - 01:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users