Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:16 AM

Using computers for over 10 years now. I never ever ran across this problem. My computer is HP 17" laptop dv7-6b78us running Windows 10. All of a sudden I can not get on the Internet. At first I thought I just had to restart my DSL modem. But that was not the problem. Because I have two other computers and they both connect to the Internet. I also restarted the computer several times. The problem is with both wired and wireless connection.

When I went to the Win. 10 Network trouble shooter I get the following message: Local area connection doesn’t have a valid IP configuration but no solution for it.

When I check the Network Status I get the following: No Internet access your device is connected but you might not be able to access anything on the network. I'm completely stumped. But I'm positive the problem is with this computer.

I hope someone can help me out.

Edited by Chris4835, 24 December 2016 - 09:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:45 AM

Sounds like the Windows 10 169 bug. See that thread. Also, did you even finish cleaning your system of the malware you found on it?

Edited by Trikein, 24 December 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#3 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

Thank you very much for your quick reply. So far I spent many hours looking all over the Internet for a solution. Then I remembered that I downloaded the latest version, and paid for cCleaner ten days ago. After the download I ran a registry scan. Now I usually save the results on my desktop. But after a few days, if I have no problems I delete them to the recycle bin.

I figured they must still be there . So I put them back on my desktop and restored one of them. Then I re-booted the laptop but while ding so Microsoft spent at leas t4-6 minutes updating. And when the computer came back on, my Internet was back to normal just like that. So far so good

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

Interesting. So your problem was similar to the Microsoft update issue, except CCleaner broke it instead of the Microsoft update. I try to stay away from registry cleaners, even ones as well known as CCleaner. I still use CCleaner for temp removal and stuff, but IMO you shouldn't touch the registry (specially windows 10) unless you are trying to fix something. 

#5 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

Trikein, thanks for the advice. Thank God I kept the registry backups. Anyway the problem is still fixed. I hope my experience will help someone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users