Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Configuration & Service Grouping

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tobleron

Tobleron

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:44 AM

Greetings Everyone,

I'm being hired in a company that is building its' Network/System infrastructure from scratch. The hardware setup I am most likely expecting is a single powerful server with 32GB RAM that runs on Windows Server 2012 Standard, in which I will deploy all the Hyper-Vs.

You will notice there are many related questions in just one topic, I'm sorry if this seems confusing but all of them are related and to separate each question here will not be fruitful as the replies will include questions like "What are you trying to do etc.?" So I couldn't ask in the form of one specific question.

But if I have to, then it is: "What's the best Windows Server 2012 Configuration with Hyper-Vs for Stability & Performance?"

First Related Question: How many simultaneous Hyper-Vs I can run without stability problems (in your opinion, or if there are best practices)?

Second Related Question: The following are the services I am planning to run. Based on your experience and/or recommended best practices that considers performance & stability, how should I divide my Hyper-Vs among the services? Or which services I can group together as best practice?

1. Domain Controller & Active Directory.
  2. DNS.
  3. DHCP.
  4. Windows Service Update Server (WSUS).
  5. Mail Server (not EXHANGE) hMail server which is very lightweight.
  6. File Server.
I thought of putting the DNS & DHCP in one Hyper-V, but I've seen tutorials recommending the DC & Active Directory to have DNS on the same server. so should I just add the DHCP server to them, all in one Hyper-V?

Third Related Question: How will you prioritize the memory for each of the servers in terms of RAM to guarantee maximum stability & performance?

I did not mention Security in my concerns, but I seek normal security that does not put an overhead in configuration and maintenance because I'm not very experienced as a Windows Server Administrator. If you have best practices for Security that is easy please mention it.

Finally, if you have any recommendations for web references that can help me in these decisions, that would be great. I am indebted for the generosity of all IT Administrators who can help me in this setup.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

The answer to your first question is "That depends". You mentioned how much physical memory is installed, but you didn't mention anything about the processors, network connections or hard drives, which is just as crucial.

per Microsoft:

"Several factors can affect the real number of virtual machines that can be run at the same time on one node, such as:

• Amount of physical memory being used by each virtual machine.
  • Networking and storage bandwidth.
  • Number of disk spindles, which affects disk I/O performance."

You should definitely have at least two DCs, with the DNS service running on both. You can put the DHCP roles on the DCs, or you can set it up on a separate servers. Opinions are split on whether it is best to run DHCP on the servers, or separated. But you certainly want more than one domain controller, with each one running DNS.

As for the other services, you can put them anywhere, just not on the DCs. Probably best to dedicate a VM server to each.

As for security, you'll want a good firewall to prevent unauthorized outside access. You may also want to limit RDP to the internal network only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users