Hello and thank you for taking a look at my post.
Wish you the best of holidays.
My system is exhibiting extremely wonky behavior. I am at a loss at what steps I should take to repair it at this point.
I am hoping there is some advice available. Details of behavioral problems after system info below.
- System was freezing (stuck and unresponsive with buzz coming from speakers when playing games or watching youtube.. or completely rebooting without warning.)
System freezes without fail when running any game. 2 minutes for games... 15-20 minutes for youtube.
- System lags significantly and often. (This seems to coincide with 100% disk use detailed in the next symptom)
- Hard Disk shows %100 active with 0 response read/write frequently... no activity clicks heard.. then it kicks back in.
System freezes when trying to connect alternate mouse (Logitech proteus core g502) Resolved
- hundreds of distributed com errors 10005 as well as a few 10016 in event log.
- spinning circles frequently freeze after reboot while loading windows
- Radeon R9 280 crashes immediately with furmark stress test. Turning off extreme burn in allows it to run longer but it reboots at 73-75 degrees.
Underclocking increases stability.. but still rebooting at around 73 degrees.
Actions Taken Before posting here
- Attempted to locate virus and malware with multiple tools. Was unable to locate any. Concerned about hidden registry virus/trojan I've removed old HDD and installed a fresh one.
- Reinstalled windows 10
- Downgraded original GPU from MSI Radeon R9 280 3gb to Gigabyte Radeon HD 6770
- Installed Malwarebytes before anything in order to monitor software reconstruction alongside windows defender.
- Updates any driver I can think of including AMD SMBus.
- Installed alternate identical but older PSU
- Disabled cool and quiet in bios to see if clock changes were somehow interfering with my system behavior.
- Disabled Prefetch in services when i noticed my disk read/write becoming unresponsive. (I did not disable prefetch/superfetch in registry)
- (ETA) Ran memtest on all four sticks of RAM - 8 hours each individually. No errors detected.
Actions Taken while waiting for guidance:
- Ran SFC scannow - no files reported in need of repair. 12/14/2016 - 8:13 am (unguided)
- Identified issue with incomplete windows update - Status: Semi resolved 12/14/2016 11:35am (unguided)
- Resolved Logitech Mouse installation by installing software at elevated level. Used clean boot to allow process to complete. 2:15 am (unguided)
Bleeping Computers Guided Actions Taken:
- Provided perfmon and Sysnative logs as per stickied instructions 12/24/2016 - 700 AM (GMT-5)
Actions in Progress
- Creating system restore point
Returning bios to cool and quiet
(Temps spiked to 48c at idle with CQ enabled. Leaving Disabled)
- Uninstalling Gigabyte GPU with DDU.
- Preparing to install Radeon R9 280 again to check for any change in stability.
- Swapped out PSU for Rosewill Glacier 80 Continuous plus bronze - 800w
- Experiencing many errors including sxs errors for AMD setacl68. Reinstalling windows as it is beyond me to repair all the problems at this point.
- Windows reinstalled. System crashes during furmark testing when gpu hits 73-75 degrees. Extreme burn test reboots immediately.
- Bios was reset during one occurrence of reboot.
I am still unable to install my Radeon R9 280 without massive problems. Although a 700w PSU should be enough to run it (would the 12v rail on thermaltake tr2 700w be insufficient for this?)
My HDD is still sluggish and sometimes unresponsive. When I add the radeon, it even reboots and the bios can't even find the disk at times... this is why I am wondering if it is a power insufficiency.
Also, I don't ever get a BSOD... it always either hard freezes (nothing functional screen locked up) or self reboots without any information.
Is this an issue that I would need to resolve by sending my motherboard in for RMA? both of My PSu? Or perhaps My operating system is configured incorrectly.
Please, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Edited by Loda-Kai, 25 December 2016 - 01:05 AM.