Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erratic system behavior - Freeze -automatic reboots - disk lagging/drops offline

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Loda-Kai

Loda-Kai

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:07 AM

Hello and thank you for taking a look at my post. 

Wish you the best of holidays.

My system is exhibiting extremely wonky behavior.  I am at a loss at what steps I should take to repair it at this point.

I am hoping there is some advice available. Details of behavioral problems after system info below.

System info

Spoiler

SYMPTOMS

- System was freezing (stuck and unresponsive with buzz coming from speakers when playing games or watching youtube.. or completely rebooting without warning.)

System freezes without fail when running any game.  2 minutes for games...  15-20 minutes for youtube.

- System lags significantly and often. (This seems to coincide with 100% disk use detailed in the next symptom)

- Hard Disk shows %100 active with 0 response read/write frequently... no activity clicks heard.. then it kicks back in.

- System freezes when trying to connect alternate mouse (Logitech proteus core g502)     Resolved

- hundreds of distributed com errors 10005 as well as a few 10016 in event log.

- spinning circles frequently freeze after reboot while loading windows

- Radeon R9 280 crashes immediately with furmark stress test.  Turning off extreme burn in allows it to run longer but it reboots at 73-75 degrees.

Underclocking increases stability.. but still rebooting at around 73 degrees.

Actions Taken Before posting here

- Attempted to locate virus and malware with multiple tools.  Was unable to locate any.  Concerned about hidden registry virus/trojan I've removed old HDD and installed a fresh one.

- Reinstalled windows 10 

- Downgraded original GPU from MSI Radeon R9 280 3gb to Gigabyte Radeon HD 6770

- Installed Malwarebytes before anything in order to monitor software reconstruction alongside windows defender.

- Updates any driver I can think of including AMD SMBus.

- Installed alternate identical but older PSU

- Disabled cool and quiet in bios to see if clock changes were somehow interfering with my system behavior.

- Disabled Prefetch in services when i noticed my disk read/write becoming unresponsive.  (I did not disable prefetch/superfetch in registry)

- (ETA) Ran memtest on all four sticks of RAM  - 8 hours each individually.  No errors detected.

Actions Taken while waiting for guidance:

- Ran SFC scannow - no files reported in need of repair.  12/14/2016 - 8:13 am (unguided)

- Identified issue with incomplete windows update - Status: Semi resolved 12/14/2016 11:35am (unguided)

Spoiler

- Resolved Logitech Mouse installation by installing software at elevated level.  Used clean boot to allow process to complete. 2:15 am (unguided)

Bleeping Computers Guided Actions Taken:

- Provided perfmon and Sysnative logs as per stickied instructions  12/24/2016 - 700 AM (GMT-5)

Actions in Progress

- Creating system restore point

- Returning bios to cool and quiet

(Temps spiked to 48c at idle with CQ enabled.  Leaving Disabled)

- Uninstalling Gigabyte GPU with DDU. 

- Preparing to install Radeon R9 280 again to check for any change in stability.

- Swapped out PSU for Rosewill Glacier 80 Continuous plus bronze - 800w

- Experiencing many errors including sxs errors for AMD setacl68.   Reinstalling windows as it is beyond me to repair all the problems at this point.

- Windows reinstalled.   System crashes during furmark testing when gpu hits 73-75 degrees.   Extreme burn test reboots immediately.

- Bios was reset during one occurrence of reboot.

---------------------------------------------------------

I am still unable to install my Radeon R9 280 without massive problems.  Although a 700w PSU should be enough to run it (would the 12v rail on thermaltake tr2 700w be insufficient for this?)

My HDD is still sluggish and sometimes unresponsive.   When I add the radeon, it even reboots and the bios can't even find the disk at times... this is why I am wondering if it is a power insufficiency.

Also, I don't ever get a BSOD...  it always either hard freezes (nothing functional screen locked up) or self reboots without any information. 

Is this an issue that I would need to resolve by sending my motherboard in for RMA?  both of My PSu?  Or perhaps My operating system is configured incorrectly.

Please, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files

Edited by Loda-Kai, 25 December 2016 - 01:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:19 AM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version FC) dates from 2016.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 14393 (1607) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Other than that, I can't see any significant issues in the reports.

Please provide this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps.  If uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

While waiting for a reply, please run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please run ALL of the tests and let us know the results.

As for the video cards - which are you using now?
If it's working, please stay with it while we troubleshoot.

As for the other cards, are they under warranty or are they returnable?  If so, I'd suggest swapping them for new cards under the warranty at this point.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Loda-Kai

Loda-Kai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

Hello usasma,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.

I ran windows update again but it says I am completely up to date.  I've attached an updated perfmon and sysnative log to this reply as I have made some changes since last night.

Currently I have managed to get the MSI Radeon R9 280 installed and running.  However, it seems to crash out when I run furmark at around 73 degrees.

That seems a little low in temp to fail. 

In the attached Admin log of administrative events,  the last crash indicates where I ran the furmark test last.  I repeated the error before saving it as I can replicate it without fail. The odd thing is, the event log warnings seem to be different every time it happens.  Sometimes its a side x side error... sometimes its unable to connect to lookup drivers..  sometimes it doesnt say anything at all except the kernel power failure.

This card is under warranty.  If you think I should do that, I can switch back out to the older Gigabyte card that I know will work.  It'll be a few weeks in transit with MSI Rma I think.

I've downloaded the tools you have instructed. I will be running the diagnostic tools now.

It's such a relief to have a little bit of guidance on this.  Thank you so much!

TEST RESULTS:

Memtest86:  Already run on all 4 sticks 1 night overnight each with no errors reported.

Furmark: System reboots almost immediately with this error showing up right before the kernel-power error eventid - 41

Event 33

Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\amd\cim\bin64\SetACL64.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Response: Manually downloaded from MSN

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)

Retry windows update: (only defender definition update available)

SXS errors resolved (I think) - Still experiencing system Reboots running Furmark

Speedfan verifies what I am noticing.   

GPU Idles at 45 -   Furmark Initiation jumps to 65 right away with a steady climb if not a reboot.   Reboots occur between 65-75 degrees C

GPU reaches 65 in the first second with a 1 degree increase per second.

Another oddity...  I set my GPU fan to 80% and reduced the clock speed to 500 mhz (from factory setting of 972)

This time instead of the computer rebooting..  furmark hanged and spat out an error.

The program FurMark.exe version 1.18.2.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 4dc
 Start Time: 01d25ee0d96a4229
 Termination Time: 8
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Geeks3D\Benchmarks\FurMark\FurMark.exe
 Report Id: b6c28baf-cad4-11e6-83f9-fcaa14e4e18d
 Faulting package full name:
 Faulting package-relative application ID:

The display adaptor also stopped responding

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Do signs here point to the GPU? or the motherboard.    I really hope it isnt the motherboard ><

Attached Files

Edited by Loda-Kai, 25 December 2016 - 02:07 PM.

#4 Loda-Kai

Loda-Kai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:17 PM

Hello Again USASMA

I know self bumping my post will throw me to the back of the line.  But in this case hold off on spending too much time on this issue.

I may have resolved my problem and I will present you with a theory that may help assist others in the future.

First signs pointed to my video card having issues.  I've replaced it and sent the old one in for RMA. You probably had a hunch about this.  Although I have not verified this part.

Second.. as to my disk drive dropping out.   I ran the hard drive tests to verify they were not faulty.  They all passed.  On a hunch, I striped them all together in a raid 0 configuration.

When reinstalling windows I noticed the difference right away.  The issue with the drives becoming unresponsive went away.

I have a theory on this.   My internet speed is 150 mbps.  When i reinstalled windows from the media disk.. it had to download a boatload of files from online.   I believe my slower drive speeds on my mechanical drives were creating a bottleneck while trying to keep up with installing all of the files.   On top of that, all of these files were being indexed and filed as well.  This would cause the entire system to pause and linger over how best to handle this event.  Meanwhile I was trying to install AMD drivers while it was doing all of that so that it would not throw on microsofts updates to my video card.

The best solution was to sit back and do nothing while everything sorted itself out.  When the drivers stop responding causing a system reboot..  I should have just reloaded and let it work through the issue on its own.   ALSO disabling indexing options such as prefetch superfetch etc would alleviate the issue somewhat.

Now that I have everything on raid configuration.  Everything kept up almost perfectly except for maybe 1 2 second pause.

This is all just a theory though.

Anyway I think we can close out my issue.  But I will come back to confirm.  Thank you for pointing me to the right tools to diagnose my situation.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:20 AM

If Furmark consistently crashes the system, then you have to wonder about the video card.

Event ID 41 errors are simply Windows saying that it doesn't know why it shut down.
The absence of any pattern in the Admin log file is suggestive of a hardware problem (as the error is something that Windows can't detect/log).

Look at the time-stamps on the errors.
The Event ID 41 error is logged AFTER the system has rebooted (so, if the Event 33 error occurs then, it's occurs after the system reboots).

But, I'm also concerned about that, as it's messing with the file permissions on your system (that's what SetACL64 seems to do

As it's coming from the AMD drivers, I'm not real concerned about it being malware - but it may indicate a problem in initializing the drivers for your system (again, this could be due to a hardware problem with the video card).

And the temp isn't significant, but the reboot at the same point is.

So, IMO this is most likely the video card - but it's possible that it could be the motherboard.

Unfortunately, there are no 100% reliable motherboard tests (they're too expensive to develop for a product that has a supported lifespan of only a few years)

The test here is to try another video card.  If you don't have another video card to try, you may want to purchase one from a shop that will let you rreturn it if it's not needed (for your money back).

As you can force a crash with FurMark - simply install the other card and run FurMark.

If the system doesn't crash, then it's probably fixed (and you can assume that the old video card was broken).

Wrote all that before reading the next post :0)
Good call on RMA'ing the video card!

At work I'm a bit slower than the other techs because I generally do one thing at a time.
This is a holdover from the old days where you couldn't download (without errors) while doing other things.

So, yes, I think the best solution is to sit back and do things while everything sorts itself out.

I'm glad to hear that things are working well for you.

Thanks for letting us know.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users